II: Charcoal and Cerulean

II

Charcoal and Cerulean

         She wakes to the quiet murmur of the Nocens and a hammering heart. Several pairs of eyes catch hers and a voice calls a soft greeting to her.

         “You’re the first to wake,” Saffin chirps.

         Joan takes several deep breaths, feeling like she can’t get in enough air for her brain to function. Her limbs are twitchy and her head feels twice as heavy.

         She stares at the prone forms of Gregory and Leo before the question escapes her.

         “What happened?”

         Saffin’s shoulders rise and fall. “You were with Abeor for hours before you returned.”

         “Returned,” Joan repeats. She cannot recall waking until now after she presumably fainted.

         “All of you returned and promptly fell asleep.” Saffin watches her carefully before approaching.

         She seems kind enough for Joan to allow her advance.

         “We have not been formally introduced.”

         Joan takes the hand offered to her, gives it a tentative shake.

         “Joaneveive.”

         “Saffin. I understand you are the daughter of Lord and Lady Ailemer of Brevinham?”

         Joan proceeds with caution. “Why do you think that?” She isn’t certain what—if any—misfortune will befall her if she gives Saffin this piece of information, but she feels the unshakable need to preserve something nonetheless.

         “The Nocens who escorted you back said so on the first night.”

         Try as she might, Joan cannot fathom any possible power Saffin may gain from knowing her name.

         Her head pounds from the thinking and suspicion, and she is too fatigued to answer Saffin.

         “I…”

         She never finishes her sentence, falls asleep instead.

         When Joan wakes again, she feels hungry for two.

         Gregory grins down at her.

         “Could hear your stomach grumbling while you were asleep,” he snickers.

         “I am hungry,” she admits. When did you wake up?”

         “Earlier than you.”

         Joan doesn’t bother correcting him.

         The unmistakable starchy smell of bread makes her stomach rumble some more.

         Leo pushes a wooden platter of bread and fruit towards her.

         “An offering to the beast.”

         Joan breaks off a large piece of the half-eaten loaf and crams it into her mouth for good measure.

         With her hunger a little satisfied, she gives herself a chance to look around.

         The Nocens inside the cave mill about, speaking in soft voices, washing themselves with cloth and water basins and scrubbing down empty platters.

         Upon making eye contact with Saffin, Joan asks what they do the entire day.

         “We wait for instructions.”

         “Instructions?”

         “We do as Abeor wishes.”

         “Like what?” Gregory cuts in. There’s a glint to his eye and a little too much interest in his voice.

         Saffin doesn’t hesitate, holds so still the prince needs to look away from her milky eyes. “Whatever the Warden wishes.”

         Joan polishes off the last of the small red apples and dips her hands into a water basin a Nocen nearby nudges towards her.

         Gregory turns away, indifferent to the conversation now that Saffin isn’t as willing to answer questions.

         “Have you had enough to eat?” Joan asks Leo. “What… Who are your parents?” she adds as an afterthought.

         “Lord and Lady Caris.” He reaches over to another platter and plucks some maroon berries.

         “Of Salston?” Gregory smirks. “One of the most helpless townships in the kingdom. Pitiful, really.”

         Joan straightens with a scowl. “Could you explain why that’s amusing, even if it may be true?”

         The prince blinks in surprise but has no answer.

         They are silent for a long moment before Leo breaks it.

         “Would you like some?” he offers, his hand extended.

         Joan declines without thinking with a shake of her head and a small smile, saying, “You are too kind, but I am much too full to eat another bite.”

         She gives herself a shake when the Nocens nearby pause in their activities to stare at her. She is so accustomed to declining offerings of food that her answer to Leo was instinctive.

         He and Gregory, of course, don’t bat an eye.

         She grabs a berry for herself and rolls it between her fingers, studying the prickly shell before she realizes how familiar the minty smell is and how her stomach clenches as though it wants to force its contents upwards.

         “Shalenberries.”

(**A/N: I looked around for a description of the shalenberries but I don't think I ever described the colour of it? I hope I didn't, because I'm just going with maroon haha. Also, my apologies for such a tiny update D:

An important note: I went back and edited a Charcoal and Cerulean chapter. If you go into the drop-down menu it'll have (REVISED) next to the chapter title. Gosh I should think of actual names so it isn't so difficult to locate scenes. Sorry about that, guys :/ Must be hard to go back and reread a certain passage when there are only four types of titles. Anyway, it's the scene where Joan first arrives at Otius Mountain, and the changes made are kiiiiiind of significant. You'll find out later when the action starts picking up. Another note: I found a mistake last chapter. I forgot to mention that the cave they were taken to held all the other town sacrifices, not just Gregory, Leo and Joan. It's been fixed now! Bear with me as I blunder through my blunders.

QOTC: What do you think happened when Joan and the others were passed out?

As always, let me know what you think in a comment, and drop a vote if you like what you're reading! If you have questions about the story I'll try to answer those too :D)