3

Izuku was incredibly nervous, feet jumping up and down as he sat in the hospitals waiting room, hoping to be called up. He could tell he was mumbling by the looks of everyone around him but he couldn't stop. He always did tend to talk more when he was nervous. Running through different scenarios and outcomes in his mind calmed him.

But for his soulmate to be Shinsou of all people...Izuku was surprised. He was sure his soulmate wouldn't be someone from Yuuei, since everyone at the school was so close to each other, nothing would stay hidden for long. Shinsou did always seem to keep to himself. He slowly made friends but when it came to certain topics he would completely shut everyone out.

He was a good rival, someone with a quirk Izuku could study endlessly, and easy on the eyes but Izuku still didn't know anything about him, so how was he supposed to proceed with this sudden relationship?

Surely Shinsou knew they were soulmates, right? Izuku never tried to hide his mark, though his hero suit did cover his mark. How close had Shinsou been looking? How desperately did he want to meet his soulmate? And if he knew Izuku was his soulmate, would he want to meet him today or did he purposely not tell him, hoping this meeting would never have to happen?

Izuku was now doubting himself. He wanted to see Shinsou so bad right now, but if Shinsou didn't feel the same, what should he do? Was it even worth it to meet him right now?

"Midoriya Izuku," one of the nurses called, and Izuku jumped up."Shinsou's ready to see you now."

Izuku nodded quickly. Well, there was no turning back now. Izuku wanted—no—needed to see him. He needed Shinsou to accept him. He didn't want this to end in heartbreak again.

"Midoriya, is that you?" Someone passing by suddenly asked, grabbing onto Izuku's arm.

"Huh?" Izuku jumped, then calming out as he noticed a fleshy looking tail. Something unique to a certain classmate."Ojiro? I haven't seen you in forever! What are you doing here?"

"Ah, I was checking up on Shinsou," Ojiro responded, smile reaching his face."Have you seen the news?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm here," Izuku answered cryptically.

"He's had it rough, I mean, you've seen all the reporters out there." Ojiro sighed. He and Shinsou were never ones for attention."It wont be long until they put two and two together."

"What do you mean?" Izuku questioned, head tilted to the side.

"You're soulmates, right? That's why you're here," Ojiro said, tapping the side of his neck which Izuku kept exposed. His hand went up to his soul mark, blush spreading across his face.

"It is really obvious, huh?" Izuku chuckled."Maybe I should also keep it covered from now on..."

"That's up to you to decide." Ojiro stepped backwards with a smile, waving."I'll see you around, Midoriya!"

"Yeah, let's catch up sometimes!"

"Okay!"

The nurse, who was waiting through the exchange all to patiently, led him to Shinsou's room. She knocked on the door, waiting for a response.

A muffled "come in" came from the other side and Izuku was ushered in before he could even think of how he should greet Shinsou.

Shinsou's eyes widened at the sight of him."Midoriya Izuku..," he mumbled."What are you doing here?"

"Shinsou..." Izuku breathed, rushing up to him. That was the funny thing about soulmates, everything seemed to just lighten up around them while it didn't before. Maybe it was the soul mark playing tricks on him, but Izuku was positively enamored.

He didn't want to fuck this up.

Izuku grasped Shinsou's hands, pulling them close to his chest with wide, sparkling eyes. He could only stare at Shinsou, words catching in his throat to the point where he felt like he was choking on them.

"I...I'm-!" he stuttered, forcing himself to push forward."I'm your soulmate, Shinsou!"

Shinsou's eyes widened, mouth opening and closing until he was left gaping like a fish.

"I promise I'll be the best soulmate possible! I'll treat you right and take you on dates and never cheat on you! I'll listen to all your problems and if you don't want anybody to know about our relationship I'll make sure to hide my mark properly!" Izuku burst out."And if you want to take things slow, I'm fine with that! I'll wait as long as you want, so please don't throw me away!"

Izuku then stopped, realizing his now crushing grip and the taken aback look Shinsou had painted across his face. He was scaring him, wasn't he? He had already messed up.

"You're my soulmate?" Shinsou questioned slowly, words coming out like tar."Show me your mark."

Izuku nodded wildly, bending down and tilting his chin upwards so Shinsou could have a better look. All he could hear was a small gasp. Was it good or bad? Izuku couldn't tell.

Shinsou then placed his hand over the mark for no longer then a second, quickly snatching his hand back as if he didn't realize why he just did what he did.

"Can I-" Izuku hesitated."Can I see yours too?" he finally asked.

Shinsou wordlessly turned his head to Izuku, slowly exposing his neck for him to see. It looked beautiful on Shinsou, the blue flower open and lively on his neck. It almost looked as if was spreading open for Izuku, excited to see him. The vines spreading out from him seemed like they were wrapping protectively around Shinsou's neck.

Izuku, entranced by it's beauty, reached his hand out and lightly touched it, surprised by the light shock he was given. He traced his fingers along the petals, then dragging them along the various vines. He felt Shinsou's skin heat up but kept going, unable to look away.

"Mm..." Shinso groaned, twitching slightly as Izuku ran his fingers across a particularly sensitive part of his neck.

Izuku jumped back as if he had been hit, glancing over at Shinsou only to find the man with a bright blush running across his face, looking away from him with nervous eyes.

"Ah..." was all Izuku could choke out, a warped pride swelling through him at the sight of the usually stoic Shinsou acting so flustered.

"I'm sorry," he then hushed, realizing his mistake. He had made him uncomfortable again, hadn't he? He really couldn't do this soulmate thing.

He had said he would strive to be like Kacchan, right? He would try to become number one no matter what. He had to put that first. He couldn't get dragged into heartbreak again.

"I'll-I'll be going now..." he stuttered, Shinsou finally looked back at him."I'm sorry to inconvenience you. I just wanted you to know we were soulmates. You don't have to worry about our relationship being known, I'll keep my mark covered from now on. Let's just put this behind us and continue to strive towards being the best heroes we can be."

Then Izuku all but ran out of the room.

"Wait!" Shinsou shouted, wanting to get out of the hospital bed and chase after him, but all the various machines attached to him said otherwise. Instead he sat there, emotions running ramped throughout his mind.

"What was that?"