Chapter 28

After a couple more exchanges about their school and the town with Emile, Nora returned to Benny's side to ensure he didn't feel out of place. He was talking to one of their schoolmates from History class. Luke and Amber approached them, holding hands. They had definitely assumed the mantle of the school's golden couple.

It surprised Nora that someone as mature and intelligent as Amber went for someone so dim and goofy as Luke. Both greeted her a lot friendlier than they did in school. It was odd seeing her classmates outside school; it was like they were completely different people. The social boundaries seemed to loosen, and alcohol lowered people's inhibitions. Or was it Rafe's presence in Nora's life that made her suddenly more socially significant than before?

"You look nice, Nora," Luke said, looking at her slightly bewildered. Amber, too, paid her compliments, touching the fabric of her expensive dress. Nora felt a lot more relaxed. This wasn't as terrible as she had imagined. She was enjoying their company. Even Hazel said a dry hello and ogled her expensive accessories.

A handful of Rafe's 'boys' from London looked out of place and attracted the eyes of many girls. They were dressed in expensive clothing and an aura of confidence and arrogance surrounded them, just like Rafe had had when he first came to school. They could've formed a boy band with their looks.

Uninterested in Rafe's schoolmates and the girls in the club, they kept to themselves around the bar, preferring to talk to Emile or Rafe only. The two groups of friends separated into the 'city boys of London' and 'townsfolk of Berk'. Nora figured Rafe's closest friend was Dmitri, a really friendly guy from Moscow. Rafe introduced them and told her they went to a posh summer camp every year together in Switzerland. It dawned on Nora now just how glamorous and luxurious Rafe's life really was and how successful and beautiful his family and friends were. What his childhood memories and holidays were made of. It all screamed money. They had had a good, comfortable life when her father was a trader. But Rafe's fortune was a whole new league. She'd be out of his life once he went back to London. He would eventually return to that life after earning his father's forgiveness. The thought made her sad. She couldn't recall what life in Berk was like before he had rudely barged into her world.

As the night went on, the club swarmed with people. The alcohol hit the system, and people ventured to the dance floor with newfound confidence. Some were making out; some were intimately standing together and talking. Nora took Benny by the hand and led him to the dance floor too. Swaying to the rhythm, Nora let herself enjoy the night. She felt the tensionand the stress of schoolwork leave her mind for a blissful couple of hours. She felt like she was in a new dimension. She observed the people whom she saw every day in a new light.

They seemed to take new form in her eyes out of their school uniforms and loosened tongues.

She felt a pair of hands on her hips and turned to see Rafe give her a cheeky grin as he swayed to the music with her. Benny had disappeared. She grinned back and threw her hands in the air as the beat dropped.

"You're having fun?" He yelled into her ear through the music.

"As you can see," she replied, turning her body to face him.

"You look a little drunk," he said, pulling her close. She felt electricity run through her body. It was responding to Rafe's charming smile and his strong body that she felt as she put her hands on his chest.

"I am a little drunk," she said with a satisfied smile and swayed with him in sync.

He leaned in, close enough to tickle her ear with his lips. "You look hot," he said in a husky voice.

She shivered. She knew he did that on purpose and needed to make sure her knees didn't buckle from underneath her. Nora tried to act cool, but her flaming cheeks gave her away.