First Day

Calypso got up the next day, and tried to make herself as presentable as possible. She was a council member now, so she had to take care of her appearance a lot more. She walked to the event stadium, completely empty, unlike the day of the ceremonies. Heading behind the stadium, the large, round building stood before her.

Heading up to the door, she spotted a scanner, and put her mark up to it. The large door started creeping upwards, and once she was inside, it came down with a loud thud. The building was dark, but once she headed up the building, windows became present, and she saw the full beauty of the mysterious building.

"Welcome." A mans voice rang through the building. Looking up, Calypso saw a man looking through the window of the top floor. The leader of the society. "Come up here, the lift is to your right." The man told her.

Calypso nervously headed into the lift, her mark was scanned again, and she flew upwards. As she landed, the rest of the council members came to greet her, all of them asking questions and telling her random information. 

Finally, the leader clapped his hands twice, and the rest of the council sat down. The leader had a dragon mark, wrapped around his neck, and its head looked like it was going to bite the leaders face right off.

The leader began to speak. "Welcome Calypso, to the council. Let me introduce you to everyone." He said. "I am Fae, Leader of the council, and bare the mark of the Dragon." Fae pointed next to him, and the council member began to do the same.

"I am Belle, the builder and caretaker of the gym. I bare the mark of the horse." Belle pointed to her right. "I am Roy, Revealer of marks, I bare the mark of the Rooster." The next councilman started. "I am Beige, Provider of the food recipes. I bare the mark of the Tiger."

The woman to the left of Calypso began. "I am Addison, I make sure everything has the correct amount of fun, I bare the mark of the Monkey." The man to the right of Calypso began. "I am Gus, I am the builder and caretaker of the Bakery."

"I am Emily, the landscaper of the society, I bare the mark of the sheep." The man next to Emily, whom was presumably her match, began. "I am Carter, I make sure food stays fresh. I bare the mark of the Goat." The next man started. "I am Ren, the peacekeeper of the society. I bare the mark of the Rat." 

"I am Vee, Builder and Caretaker of the school, I bare the mark of the Dog." Finally, the last councilman spoke. "I am Tee, Builder and Caretaker of the Nursery. I bare the mark of the Rabbit."

Fae started to speak once again. "And now, I will inform you on your job Calypso. You bare the mark of the snake, however, you are not the first, like all other marks. The one before you tried to escape the society, and died. Now it is your turn to replace Orion..." The counsel members winced at his name. The leader continued. "And take care of his old job. It is your job to end expired citizens. When it is there time to die, you must bring them to the chamber of passing, and perform the silent ceremony."

Calypso was in shock. The councilmen took care of a lot more than she originally thought. She thought they were all rule enforcers, but they were the ones keeping the society alive. Yet, it was her job to end the expired ones. "I understand." She said, looking into the leaders eyes. She wasn't going to fail them like the past snake, Orion.

"Good. Tomorrow we have someone expiring. Then I will teach you how to do the job." Fae said looking stern. "We call meetings often, to check up on how everyone's doing. You will most likely have to do a passing ceremony multiple times per day, other times, not a single one. On those days you can have the day to take care of other matters, and in a few years, take care of family."

The council members stood, and Calypso followed. They filed out of the room, and the ringing bells for the end of work rang, and Calypso headed home, excited to tell her family all about her duties as the barer of the snake. Fae had called her, The Reaper.