Chapter Five -- Asher

Asher

I wasn't asleep. I was just barely awake, lingering half in and half out of consciousness. I'd never felt so much rage before in my life. That anger woke me right up, but I kept my eyes closed. The very thought that someone had done that to her burned my skin. After she left, I sat up and stared at the door. What could I do? I knew what I wanted to do.

Every last synapse in my body wanted that fucker to pay for what he did. I also wanted to hold her and tell her everything would be all right. She wouldn't like that. I wasn't stupid, Jez was hard as nails and holding on to some serious shit. The last thing she'd do would be let me hold her like I wanted. So, I did the only thing I could think of, I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and texted someone who might know who scouted Sugar-Free. I found out from Zach, about the Sugar-Free reunion so I decided to try him first. He always answered my texts—even at three am.

He blew off a text from me once, on the night I tried to commit suicide. Ever since then he always answered. We'd been friends since we were kids and I knew he felt responsible for what happened. Like I knew there was nothing I could say or do to make him feel otherwise.

- Crazy question. After listening to Sugar-Free play the other night, I can't stop thinking about them. Do you know who scouted them?

- Their sound is legit as fuck isn't it? Zach sent back instantly.

- Yea.

- I asked the drummer that night. She's who I ran into. She's just the chilliest chick.

- Yea. She seemed that way.

- Eric Stevens with Caliber Records.

- Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have an address for him, would you?

- Naw. But I can get one. Noah's band is signed with them.

- Thanks. Give Noah my best.

I set my phone back on the nightstand and attempted to fall back asleep. It took a while, but after an hour of tossing and turning, I managed to pass out... somewhat.

Unfortunately, bad dreams had me up all night, so I woke up almost as exhausted as I was when I laid down. Still I went through my normal hour of Yoga. Somehow I managed to block out everything including the fact that Jez stood in the doorway watching me as she ate yogurt in her pajamas.

"Wow, that's advanced..." She sucked on her spoon and looked me over.

"Have you done Yoga before?" I asked from the floor as I lingered in child's pose.

"I went to a couple of classes a long time ago." She shrugged.

"Want to do a few postures with me?"

"You mean asanas? See, I paid attention." She giggled, then popped her spoon into her mouth again. I couldn't help but smile, and at the same time desperately want to rip Eric Steven's head off.

"If you want, I can teach you some more poses," I offered as I stood. Looking down at her small form I could see how some asshole might think Jez was an easy target—and that just made my anger flare again. I buried my rage and tried to focus on something else instead.

She cleared her throat. "No thank you. I caught the tail end of that. I'll stick with kickboxing twice a week and Pilates when I'm feeling lazy. That thing when you were balancing on the one hand, and your face was like two inches from the floor—" she shook her head. "As sexy as it was, watching that was enough yoga for me...for the year."