Preface

Would anyone in their right mind do what I did? Uproot and leave everything they'd ever known?

I didn't have much to miss in New York but I had something.

The little things were the things that I would miss; the smell of Manhattan bagels wafting through the air on the way to work, the familiar faces, friendly faces. Even a stranger that opens a door for you or lets you get in a taxi.

The people of Manhattan.

No, I didn't have much to leave in New York, no family, no friends, no partner but I had lived a life there.

That was enough to miss.

·

The ferry was slow, just drifting along the water.

I've always had a strange fascination with water. The way it flows as if it has a mind of its own.

The power that something so gentle could have. The power to stop fires, to drown thousands, swallowing souls of the unfortunate.

I sat on the upper deck, watching the scintillating water as the ferry bobbed up and down due to its lousy engine.

A guy approached with a strange sparkle in his eyes.

A sparkle that usually came hand in hand with mischief.

"Is this seat taken?" He said his bright hazel eyes glinting.

I straighten out my clothes and brush the tail of my french plait out of my face, sweeping the loose hairs from my face. "No," I said shortly, trying to show the least amount of interest possible.

He looked up at me from his book after a minute of silence and I noticed his chestnut curls flow in the breeze. I noticed his perfectly sculpted face and warm eyes that you feel as though you could just drown in.

She couldn't put her finger on what was so amazing about this guy. Look deep into those hazel eyes and see what was so mysterious about this guy, so compelling. He almost resonated glitter. That probably makes zero sense.