Night and Day pt.1

I didn't dare sneak out of the house last night. I wanted to so bad, to see Sharon. To sit by her as she sleeps. To watch her. Maybe... feel her. But, when Mother gets this way, she's like a bat. She senses everything. I wouldn't dare try and get by her. She's too clever.

Mother came bursting in my room, waking me with her thunder. She does this quite often. I imagine she's trying to catch me at something. She rarely does, because I've become to wise to her. Mostly.  I looked to the discarded sock on the floor next to my bed. Looking to it, but in a manner not to alert Mother. I wasn't able to sneak out  to watch Sharon, but she was still plenty in my thoughts throughout the night. I had laid there, thinking of watching her, still and quiet in her bed. I will get to her room, one day. I know it. But, for the moment, I just thought of her. I left my disappointment and desperation in the sock, and tossed it on the floor. I didn't dare go to the bathroom to rinse the sock, because Mother and her bat ears would have heard me, and she'd surely quiz me on my bathroom habits in the middle of the night.

And now, here lays that sock. Please don't see it.

"I was done to the market, this morning."  When she starts out with this gglad voice I know that I'm in for some project or another. She gets happy when she finds things for me to do.

"I've arranged for you to do the Atwoods' lawn again this summer." She still had the bags from the market in her hands. She was very excited. I could see the fruits and vegetables through the plastic. She had avocados. I love avocados.

The Atwood lived over next door to Mother Cole's house. They had money, which is why Mother was excited. It was as if it would rub off on me just by cutting their lawn. I did it last summer, but I didn't think I'd be invited back to do it again. this year. Mother must have really poured it on to get me the job back. The Atwoods have a daughter who is nothing but trouble. She's why it didn't go well.s

"You'll do their lawn after you get Grandma Collander's lawnwork done." Mother doesn't like when I call grandma Mother Cole. That's what Dad had always called her. It's what everyone calls her. But Mother would say "I am your Mother Collander!" She would argue that it was a technicality, but she was just mad because grandma had a neat nickname, and everyone loves her. It's not like Mother liked nicknames anyway. She was just jealous, is all. So, I only called grandma Mother Cole when I was with her. I don't like to make Mother mad.

Mother went on about the Atwoods, making sure that I understood how "important" it was to do good work for them. You must always do tyhe best you can, no matter the task. It's the way of the Lord to be take pride in your efforts." She never says that when she sends me to Mother Cole's house to work.

She was so distracted in making sure I was a good person for the Atwoods that I took the chance. I grabbed the shirt hanging on the chair and then tossed it on the floor over the sock.

"Hand me the laundry. You'll need clean clothes to do good work!"

"No!" I pulled the dirty clothes away from her reaching hand." "I'll do my laundry, Mother"

Her eyes grew large. She clasped her hands to her chest.

"You are a sight, this morning." She swelled with pride. "I believe you've heeded my advice to redeem yourself. That is well appreciated, boy." She turned and left the room, humming her favorite hymn.

I don't know why, but for being so smart, Mother can be so easily fooled at times.

Mother's head returned to the doorway, abruptly.

"And, you'll stay way from that Atwood girl." This was a warning. It was delivered with a smiling, beaming face, but a stern warning nonetheless. The worst kind.

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long. I hope to be updating more often. Please comment and like and feel free to message me with your thoughts, too. And spread the word!