30

Nervous, I think that accurately describes how I felt during the elevator ride up to Normani's floor. It wasn't even about having to lie or pretend that we were a couple, that would be the easiest part. In just one afternoon, we had managed to go back to the way that we were when we first met. That was what made me feel nervous.

I walked out of the elevator when it got to her floor and took a few deep breaths to calm myself down before knocking on her door. She opened the door wearing a little black dress that showed off her curves. I was much taller than her since she was barefoot and I had heels on.

A beatific smile adorned her face as she stepped aside to let me into the apartment. 'Hey, you're early.'

'Oh my bad, I thought traffic would be bad but it wasn't.'

'No it's okay, make yourself comfortable,' she replied as she went into her room. 'You literally just missed Grace and Ava. We have to take a picture to show her how you're dressed.'

Before I could respond, she came out of her room and all I could think about was how beautiful she looked. I didn't even realize that she was speaking to me until I noticed the crease in her brow and her lips moving.

'Sorry I missed that. You look beautiful.'

'Thank you, so do you. I meant to say that earlier actually. You are pulchritudinous.'

'That's your word of the day isn't it?'

She giggled, 'Yeah, I like to expand my vocabulary. So before we go, I was thinking we should go over the rules of this relationship.'

'Sounds good.'

'Are you comfortable with kissing and public displays of affection?'

'I am. We already said that we were good with pictures and videos yesterday.'

'What about seeing other people? I highly doubt that I'll suddenly meet anyone new but if it were to happen, would you want me to wait until after the breakup?'

I smiled, hoping that it didn't look like a grimace. 'I think you should go for it if you meet someone whilst we're "together". Just let me know so I can. I'll do the same. Should we shake hands or sign a paper or something?'

She went to her office and came back with a piece of paper. After writing the rules that we had just agreed on, we both signed the paper. 'Okay I think we can go now right?'

'Yeah.'

Xavier's party was at a place that was a lounge downstairs and a club upstairs. Normani went and sat down on a couch. I got our drinks and handed one to Normani as soon as I got back to where she was sitting.

'We'll stay for like an hour half at most and then get out of here. Is that okay?'

'Yes it is,' Normani replied as she took a sip of her cocktail. 'Okay so where is Jeremy?'

'His name is Jarryd and he's either not here yet or he's upstairs.'

She looked at me innocently. 'That's what I said. What do you mean upstairs?'

'This is kind of a chilled area for people that want to relax. The actual party is upstairs.'

'Oh Xavier is fancy like that huh?'

I nodded, 'yeah. So I'm thinking we should stay here for a while. Xavier will come downstairs eventually to see if there's anyone here that hasn't wished him a happy birthday.'

A few people that I knew came to speak to us, somehow already knowing that Normani was my girlfriend. I suspected this probably had something to do with Lauren. Each time a new person walked up to us, Normani moved closer until I could feel her heat radiating off me.