Episode 1: Resolution

A note for the readers -

"The following work is purely a figment of imagination. It is in no way an authentic depiction of the history."

That being said, I am no expert on the Scottish Highlands and their clans. I may be right somewhere and may not be. So, if you like it, please give a vote up. If you find any loopholes, please feel free to suggest any kind of edits. I am open to constructive criticism.

I hope you enjoy this story :)

"Stop it! Annabelle, this is the tenth time you are repeating this plan since last night", said Glenna irritatingly who was tired of listening to Annabelle's never ending schemes about how she would sweep away Arthur Mcleod off his feet by her charm this evening.

From the past one week, Glenna had seen Annabelle, leaving no stone unturned to make sure that she looked the most beautiful lass this evening.

She had been preparing herself more for Arthur's arrival than the grand celebration held in honour of her sister-in-law, Glenna, that evening. Although Aaron and Glenna married three months ago, it was only now that they could host a celebration for all their Highland allies.

They had a very intimate and private wedding devoid of any pomp and show because Aaron and Annabelle's father passed away just a day before the wedding day.

The celebration this evening was to be attended by all their neighbouring clans - The Gunns, The Sutherlands, The Mcleod's and even the Mclean's from far south as Glenna came from that clan.

Annabelle had rejected fifteen gowns sewn by the poor seamstress on a such a short notice before choosing the ruby red one on Glenna's insistence. Glenna had to come up with hundred and more excuses just to get her convinced for this piece.

Three months into the Sinclair clan, and Glenna came to know how much of a labour was it to please Annabelle. She had known she was stubborn, moody and very hard to please from their very first meeting. Glenna even conjectured that she would never really get along with Annabelle. She seemed vain to the much simple - minded Glenna initially.

Never in her wildest dreams, did Glenna imagine, that she will grow so fond of Annabelle. There was something so enchanting about her that one couldn't easily ignore her.

But some times, like at this moment, even Glenna lost her cool and didn't mind mildly chastising Annabelle.

Kyla suppressed a giggle lest she invite a rebuke from her lady, Annabelle. She had been serving her as a maid for the past seven years and was quite used to her mood swings. Annabelle eyed her in a disapproving way and she quickly diverted her attention saying-

"Oh........milady, I was just wondering exactly how did you fall in love with the man who is feared on almost all of the realm? You hardly met him once when you were merely a child, more or less, twelve years old. And he is more than ten years older than you. Don't you think he would be a little misfit for you?"

She regretted the word 'misfit' as she knew it would draw the wrath out of her. But, fortunately Annabelle didn't pay any attention to it. She went merry almost at all the times when 'Arthur'was mentioned.

"Misfit?", Annabelle raised her brows in surprise. "He is the only man that can ever fit me. And as for falling in love with him, it happened long, long time ago, when I was just a little girl of twelve years." Annabelle immediately started reminiscing about that cold winter night of Christmas eve.

Kyla now done with Annabelle's dress, moved to her back to braid her soft deep mahogany locks.

"Milady, I would certainly like to hear about it", said Kyla smiling brightly, "and I am sure that our new lady", she waved her hands towards Glenna, who was also getting her hair done by her maid, Isla, "Lady Glenna would also want to know."