Chapter 2: It's not a date.

I had a massive hangover. Yesterday was buzzin’—seriously, I had never had so much to drink in my life! Unfortunately, today I’d have to deal with the consequences. I’m in trouble for coming home late, not calling, and being drunk. So that all together is...three weeks of incarceration. Yep, my mum is completely delusional if she actually believes that that’s what I’m going to do, considering the fact that sleeps through the entire day anyway. I grabbed a capsule of aspirin and headed out of my house, without even leaving a note, ready to meet my date for the day.

She really did like to keep a guy waiting. Leaning on the wall by the high street, I’d checked my watch for the eleventh time. It was nearly four and she said to meet at three. But then again, she hadn’t actually mentioned whether it was a.m. or p.m....

Then five minutes later, I spotted a red  BMW Supersport motorbike coming towards me. It had to be her; no one round here can handle something that awesome. And hot.  Maxine had a taste for both gear and leather; she almost wore it for everything and everywhere she went except for bed—not that I actually know for sure. Black, zipped leather jacket and boots with dark slim jeans that clung to her every curve. she skidded to a halt on front of me, spraying some gravel my way. 

She slid up the helmet screen. Gosh, she was stunning. “’ssup, shortcake, ready to go?” she had a thing with names. 

Aside from her, the motorbike was the only other stunning thing around. I coudn't take my eyes off it.  “This is hot," I trailed  over the engine, "Horsepower?" 

"One hundred and ninety-three."

"Weight?" 

"Two hundred and four, including fuel."

The wheels were tight. "Nice..." I made sure to add a bit of a hiss to that. "Yours?"

She shook her head. "Just a rental. Cars are flat, I wanted something...thrilling. In other words, my car's messed up."

"You should let me take a look at it. I could fix it up for you."

"Would you?"

I nodded and winked. "I'll even knock off some fees for you."

From the corner of my eye, I caught her smile, and smiled back.  

I guess you could call me a vehicle enthusiast. In that way I took after my dad. among other things. And speaking of taking after things, as of just a few weeks ago I have been deemed owner owner of a garage entitled Steptoe and Son a few miles south of London. After my dad moved on, I just had to take over; I couldn't sell it. So not only  do I have a million and one things to do during the summer breaks; I also have  a business to run 

Back to today though, the sun as scorching, the roads were busying, market stalls were closing and  Maxine was getting impatient with me. I couldn't blame her; I was practically drooling over the thing. Maybe she was jealous. 

"You've got to let me ride this thing." I said, eyes practically begging. 

"And have you laying next to me in hospital? I don't think so." 

"Come on, I can ride a motorbike."

"No, you can ruin a motorbike. Remember last time?"  

I made a face. "I was twelve, Max."

"And I'm pretty sure you haven't grown up a bit since then." she began to laugh, loudly. 

So I switched on the sarcasm. "You're funny. No, seriously, ditch the school stuff and become a comedian."

Sometime after, when her laughter died, she reached round and chucked me a pink helmet.