My Jade

Three, two, one.  

"Finally," jade said to Cassie, "just think we are officially seniors."  

"I know right," Cassie replied, "but it seems just like yesterday when we met for the first time at lunch in kindergarten."  

Now that I think of it, my stomach has been grumbling at me for the last 2 hours. Maybe next year I might wake up early enough to remember to eat breakfast. "Hey today is a half day, let's go to Jezzepies for lunch."  

"The perfect plan to start off the perfect summer, leaving the last day of school early... also known as ditching ha ha."  

The last day of school is magical. For some reason unknown to the teenage population, you suddenly are best friends with everyone in the school. You see the people you have not even said more than two words to all year, and probably will not even see or talk to again until next September, and they suddenly become the reason you don't want the school year to end. We pass around yearbooks and sign little forget me nots, and write our digits next to our name, like you're ever going to call? It's so cliché and no one even thinks about it, well apart from me probably.  

"Hello, earth to jade. How do you expect to get into the parking lot with nerdy Ernie guarding the gym door?" Cassie asked  

There I go daydreaming again. I do that way too often. Well now that Cassie has snapped me back to reality...  

"Oh, don't worry about him. I got it." I replied  

"I hope so because last time he got me 3 days of detention"  

I know the perfect way to get to the little annoying bastard. He wishes so bad to be cool but little does he know the fact that he stutters and wears coke bottles because of his eye condition labels him as an outcast for life. Don't ask me how I know that because I couldn't tell you, information like that just always pops up in my head. No I am not psychic I don't believe in that kind of thing. I like to look at myself as just very observant.  

We stride into the gym heads high and suddenly Ernie is on us.  

"Uh, school isn't over yet where do you think you are going?" he rounds  

I glance at Cassie, of course I have something up my sleeve the boy has lived next to me for the last 10 years, "oh, hey there Ern." The use of a nickname makes him feel special. "You know that party over at Katie stockings house tonight?" of course I'm sure no one has ever invited him to a party.  

''yeah, so what? Another excuse for the dumb jocks to get drunk and try to start a competition for the most brain cells lost...you think id go to something like that."  

""Oh why not Ern? Are you too good to hang out with anyone other than the chess club." Cassie snickers behind me, she knows exactly what I am up to. Only I really don't see why everyone doesn't like him he is cool in his own way. He is just a little different, but I keep the almost charade going. "Well why don't you be my date tonight? I would love it for you to come with me."  

"Uh, um, really? Your not just joking with me?"  

"Oh no Ern I would never joke with you about that. So what do you say huh?"  

"Wow uh sure!"  

"Great, wear something blue okay, I'll pick you up about nine.''  

"Okay, wow this is great"  

Well, that sure was easy, just a little date with the school nerd, total social suicide, for anyone but me of course.  

"Tell me you were just joking about picking him up for Kate's party tonight!" Cassie exclaimed