Fragile

Raphael did not go down without a fight. It wasn't until Raphael had started to become weakened from the burns that Simon was able to grab ahold of him. He couldn't go to the DuMort, not after everything that's happened. And so, there was only one other place he could think of to go.

Simon knocked on the door so hard it was surprising that he didn't break it.

"Magnus! Magnus, I️ need your help!" Simon screamed, continuing to bang on the door using the hand that wasn't supporting Raphael. "Magnus!"

When Magnus opened the door, his eyes widened at the sight, mouth agape with shock.

"Bring him in," Magnus said, his tone not revealing how distressed he truly felt as he stepped aside to allow Simon and Raphael to pass through the doorway.

Simon did as he was told and carried in Raphael's half conscious body before gently setting him down on the sofa. Raphael groaned in pain before turning his head to the side. Magnus immediately knelt at his side, touching a hand gently to his cheek.

It wasn't long before Alec entered. He scanned the room, taking in Simon who was visibly shaking and his boyfriend kneeling next to a body that was so badly burned it took him a moment to even recognize that that was Raphael.

"What happened?" Magnus asked, turning his head slightly to look at Simon.

"I️-I️, I️ was was walking and I️...I️ just...he was...and then I️," Simon stuttered, beginning to hyperventilate, more tears coming. It was like he was just physically unable to form a sentence. His mind was racing and yet he couldn't seem to focus on anything, really. "Oh my G-" he said, choking on the word "God" which only worsened his unnecessary rapid breathing. Instinctively, he placed a hand to his throat.

Surprisingly enough, it was Alec who came to his side, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Simon, it's okay. You did the right thing bringing him here, okay? You did the right thing. It's okay. Just breathe," Alec uttered softly. His ability to remain calm under pressure was a testament to the kind of leader he was. Perhaps he and Raphael had more in common than they realized.

With that Simon took a deep exhale and did his best to collect himself, although he still remained visibly shaken. He shook his head, as if trying to shake off what had just happened.

"I'm sorry. I️ was walking and then I️ saw Raphael. I️ asked him what he was doing out so close to sunrise and he..." he trailed off. He balled his hands into fists and then relaxed them again. He then drew in a breath before speaking again. Physically, he didn't need to, but he needed to.

"He told me that he wanted to watch his last sunrise," Simon finally said.

Magnus touched his hand tenderly to Raphael's forehead as if he were a small child that he was checking for a fever. "Oh, my poor, sweet boy," Magnus whispered. He then cleared his throat before releasing his hand and standing.

"Alexander, retrieve my cell phone. It's on the dresser. Call Catarina, and let her know it's urgent," he said, noticing the way that Simon winced when he declared that it was urgent.

Alec nodded, patting Simon on the shoulder before disappearing into the bedroom.

After Alec left, Simon inched closer to Magnus, who was still examining Raphael. The burns were really bad, so even with his supernatural healing, it would still take some time. However, it was still alarming as it didn't appear that Raphael was healing slowly; he wasn't healing at all.

"Why isn't he healing?" Simon asked nervously.

Magnus shook his head, chin resting on his index finger and thumb and brows drawn together in contemplation.

"I'm not quite sure," the warlock admitted. "My best guess is that he hasn't been eating."

It was then that Magnus was hit with the most dreadful sense of déjà vu. He recalled the day he first met the vampire when he had had to physically restrain him in order to prevent him from allowing the sun's vibrant rays to claim his life. He remembered the fledgling's bloodlust being completely out of control and watching in horror as he would go through vicious cycles of feeding on innocent mundanes and later being consumed by guilt and starving himself as a way to repent.

While he wanted to be there for Raphael, he hated seeing him in so much pain.

Magnus then turned to Simon.

"Would you be a dear and get some blood for when Raphael wakes?" Magnus suggested.

Simon reluctantly nodded. He really didn't want to leave Raphael's side, but he figured that it was for the best that he made himself useful somehow, and so he headed out.

While it was true that Raphael would need blood, that wasn't the real reason that Magnus sent 

Simon away. He felt that the walk would be good for him, giving him some time to collect himself. Besides, it was best for the warlock to begin working with minimal distractions.

Almost as soon as Simon shut the door behind him, Alec emerged from the bedroom once again.

"She said that she'll try and get someone to cover her next shift and make it over as soon as she can," he reported.

Magnus offered up a pathetic smile.

"Thank you, Alexander," he said.

Alec then moved toward Magnus, and when he was close enough he took Magnus's hand in his and interlaced their fingers. He then cupped Magnus's cheek with his other hand.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Alec asked softly.

Magnus didn't say anything at all at first. He simply sighed before eventually releasing himself from the Shadowhunter's touch. He then turned around to face Raphael again.

He looked at him pensively as he shook his head.

"I️ wasn't there for him like I️ should have been. I️ should've known. How did I️ not see this coming?" He asked no one in particular.

Alec touched Magnus's shoulder and placed his other arm around his waist, leaning into his ear.

"Magnus, there's no way you could've known. You can't blame yourself for this," he whispered.

Magnus closed his eyes, a tear escaping and rolling down his cheek.

"I️ should try to see what I️ can do about the burns until Catarina arrives," Magnus said.

Alec then took a step back.

"Okay. Just let me know if you need anything," he said.

Magnus turned around and softly kissed his boyfriend before facing the vampire once again.

He stretched his arms out and began to move his hands back toward each other, creating a blue cloud of magic which he then cast over Raphael.

Raphael then groaned again, attempting to move unsuccessfully.

"Hold still, cariño," Magnus uttered softly.

Raphael appeared as if it were a struggle to even move his eyelids as he looked up at Magnus with a pleading expression. He then took a labored breath before attempted.

"I️-" Raphael started before being cut off.

"Shhhh," Magnus said. "Whatever it is, you can tell me when you're better."

Still, Raphael managed to choke out the words "I'm sorry" before his eyelids fluttered to a close and he drifted back out of consciousness. On one hand, Magnus knew it was a good thing since he wouldn't have to be in so much pain. Instead, he looked peaceful. Still, the warlock also couldn't quite hold back as he feared that he would never wake again.