10. Charade

Josef and Varick entered through the door, just as Vesper managed to slip the cell phone into her back pocket. Her heart was racing, thinking that maybe she had been to slow, and they had seen what she'd done. She tried to act as innocent as possible, and thankfully they seemed ignorant of her deceit.

“You haven't gotten into any trouble since we've been gone, have you?” Josef asked, almost teasingly.

Vesper almost wanted to laugh in response, if he only knew the truth. She decided no response would be best, if she said anything it might give something away. Josef seemed very good at reading people. Fortunately, it didn't seem like he actually expected a response, but then he spoke again and it seemed that he had decided to get serious.

“It is time for us to move,” Josef said. “But before we go you must change.”

At his words, Varick produced a dress bag, and a pair of heels. It was only then that she realized that both men were now dressed in nice suits. If she hadn't been so worried about the cell phone, she probably would have realized sooner. She must have looked rather confused, because he continued speaking after a moment.

“We will give you a few minutes alone to change, but do not waste our time,” He said. “I will come in here and change you myself if I have to.”

“Why must I change?”

“Because of where we are going,” He answered. “If you showed up as you are now, you would stand out.”

They both left the room, and Vesper stood looking at the dress bag laid across the bed with apprehension. It was only then that she wondered how they knew what size to get. She would have to remember to ask later. The heels were the only thing she could see at the moment, they were pale gold in color, and they were obviously some sort of designer brand. Although gold might seem kind of a trashy color usually, these were very tasteful. Vesper wondered how a guy had chosen so well.

She moved over to the bed, and began to unzip the dress bag, dreading what it might contain. Vesper gave a little gasp when she saw it. It was stunning, simple and elegant, and obviously a designer brand again. It was black, with a sweetheart neckline, and halter top straps. It fit perfectly, and once she had it on, the length of it was just a little above her knees. The skirt was flowing, and she couldn't stop herself from doing a little twirl in it. It was the perfect “little black dress”.

There was also, fortunately, pockets on the dress, so she was able to transfer the cell phone from her jeans to the dress. Vesper looked herself over, it was definitely a gorgeous outfit, but she was starting to worry. Why did she have to dress up, where were they going She waited impatiently for the men to come back, she needed some answers.

There was a knock on the door. “Are you decent?” came Josef's questioning voice.

“Yes, I am dressed,” Vesper replied.

Josef and Varick entered once again, and both seemed to stop a little abruptly upon seeing her. It made her feel uncomfortable, having the two of them staring at her. There was an awkward pause where no one seemed to know what to say. Finally, Josef broke the silence.

“Thank you,” He paused. Then, upon seeing her confusion, he explained further. “For not being difficult, I mean.”

“You're welcome, I guess,” She replied, lamely.

He cleared his throat, and checked the time.

“It is time to go.”

Before she could react to his words, Varick had grabbed her roughly. He held her arms behind her back, twisting them painfully. She struggled with him for a moment, but soon gave in. It was pointless, he was much too strong for her. He began to tie her hands together behind her back, while she stood facing Josef.