23. | You've Got this So Wrong

It took me the whole night to shake off the sad encounter I had with Chloe at Niall's. First of all, she wasn't even supposed to be there. She was supposed to be in New York, with Hayley, in her house, where she said she wanted to be.

I had not expected her to show up on Niall's arm at his own party, that's for sure.

Never in a million years would I have predicted that.

But she was there. And it took everything I had in me not to scoop her up into my arms and hold her as tightly as possible. I wanted her to be it for me. I don't know if that's believable at this point, but it was so true. I wanted her to be the last girl I dated, I wanted her to be my endgame. But, then I forgot who I was. I jumped into everything and didn't even realize it wasn't practical. That was on me, and I had hurt her. I had to live with that now.

God, I missed her. I missed her like crazy. I had spent so much time with her and I had gotten so close to her. And then it was all gone, just like that. Like someone just snapped their fingers and turned my entire life around, and not for the better.

And now I was going to have to make an embarrassing phone call to Niall begging for him to tell me what he knows about the girl I may be in love with.

After two rings, Niall picked up the phone. "Hello?" he said groggily, probably struggling with a hangover. "Niall? It's Harry." I said and I heard a sarcastic laugh come through the phone. "I can fucking read caller ID, Harry." Niall replied and I let out a short laugh. "Whadda ya' want, Styles?" Niall asked and I took in a deep breath.

"What did she tell you? About like, her moving and stuff?" I asked and Niall groaned through the phone. "Harold, I'm hung over and cranky and not in a position to discuss Chloe's personal life with you. If you want to know, ask her. I'll text you her address." Niall offered and I felt both hope and fear spread through me. "Okay, I guess that'll be fine." I said shyly and Niall laughed. "Good luck." He said positively and then hung up. A few minutes after, a text came through on my phone and I looked down to see Niall's name.

I opened up the text and put the address into maps and then ran out of my house and jumped in my car.

I had to resist the urge to turn around the entire drive there. But, I knew this was what I wanted. I wanted to at least talk to her. I wanted to at least get to see her every now and then. I cared about her so much.

I pulled up to the apartment complex and glanced back at the text from Niall to figure out what room she was in. I walked into the building and pressed the number that corresponded to the one in the text. About thirty seconds later, there was suddenly a voice over the intercom. "Hello?" she said tiredly. I felt my heart skip a beat. "Uhm, Chloe? It's Harry. Can we talk?" I asked nervously, running a hand through my hair. At first there was silence, and I heard stirring on the other side of the line.

"Chloe?" I asked again, becoming more and more worried by the minute. There was no answer, but the door to go into the complex buzzed open and I felt a bit of relief. Although, I'm sure I was still the last person she wanted to see.

As I walked toward the door of her apartment, I surveyed the hallway. It was a nice little place, and it was even a bit nicer than her place back in New York, but she was probably back to paying rent now, since I hadn't bought this building like I did when I felt bad for being the cause of her losing her last job.

I reached the door and knocked lightly on it. I heard footsteps from the inside and then the door swung open to reveal a very tired, but very beautiful looking Chloe. She said nothing, but stepped aside to let me in, although she looked less than impressed about it. I stood awkwardly between the living room and kitchen as she walked behind her kitchen island to continue eating the pieces of toast that were sitting there.