Chapter 28

Harry woke in the Hospital Wing nearly a week after the incident with all of his friends surrounding him. It must be after classes or during a meal because there's no way they'd all be allowed in unless it was. They were talking, playing games, reading books; just waiting for Harry to wake up. They weren't worried. They knew he would. Both Professor Snape and Madam Pomfrey affirmed that he would wake, but in his own time. Lily—sitting on the bed next to him—noticed he'd woken up before the rest.

"How're you feeling, Harry?" She asked and everyone grew quiet and turned to him.

"Achy." He replied hoarsely. "What happened?"

"We won, Harry! You caught the Snitch!" Lily was practically vibrating in excitement.

Fred spoke a little guiltily, "I saw you had the Snitch, but a Bludger was after me and I tried to hit it away from anyone, but it flew back around and went for you. No one was close enough to you to stop it."

"That's alright. There was nothing anyone could do. It was an accident." There was a small silence, "How long was I out for?"

"Six days," Hermione answered. "The Professors said they won't make you make all of it up. Just enough to understand where we are, and I can help you the rest of the way."

Harry sat there for a while—Lily had helped him sit up. After a few moments, Madam Pomfrey came into the Main Wing and shooed them out so she could check on Harry. They grumbled but promised that if Harry was still in by tomorrow, they would visit him again.

Madam Pomfrey performed a few tests and declared Harry well enough to leave after she administered a few potions. Harry was glad. He wouldn't be able to make it to dinner, but he got to spend some time in the Common Room and get started on some work before he had to go to bed.

Because he wouldn't make dinner, and he was famished, Madam Pomfrey had a House Elf bring Harry a tray of a few things they were having that evening. He ate happily—wishing he could eat with his friends—and took the potions Pomfrey pushed at him. After she was sure they had all begun to take effect, she let him take off the hospital pyjamas, put on his own clothes, and check out. She called Lily back to help him walk because not using his leg muscles for a week did a number on their strength. He would have to take potions every morning and be sure to exercise his legs in order to regain his strength in time for the next Quidditch practice—which was put off a week and a half so Harry could get better without having to worry; the next game was between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff anyway. So Harry could relax and focus on catching up in classes.

They made their way through the halls, Harry being supported by Lily who was talking his ear off about all that had happened that week—Severus had been especially stressed out, so much that he took points off Malfoy of all people. Then, Harry heard something. He shushed her and she looked a little indignant but went quiet anyway. Then he heard it again. The lone sound of long robes dragging on the stone floor nearby. No one should be in the halls at this time besides Prefects—no students let alone Prefects had robes long enough to drag on the ground—and this close to the Common Room, there wouldn't be any teachers roaming around other than Severus and Lily knew for a fact that he was in Dumbledore's office discussing Quidditch safety precautions.

They stood, holding their breaths as the sound got closer and closer. Harry's legs, already weak, shook with a sudden rush of adrenaline and anticipation. His knees buckled and his legs collapsed under him, but Lily was shocked stiff and couldn't hold him up. As the sound got closer he felt an aching in his forehead—right where his scar was. It got closer and closer and his scar hurt more and more. He was curled in the fetal position, crying out and clutching his curse-mark, the unidentified person was almost upon them. A silhouette appeared on the other end of the corridor. As it moved closer, the torches in the corridor were violently blown out. The corridor grew darker and darker; Lily grew more and more fearful; Harry felt more and more pain—he was sure this was what the Cruciatus Curse felt like. And still, the silhouette grew closer. The inhabitants of the paintings along the walls fled away from the imposing figure. Knights, Kings, Warriors, Queens. They all ran screaming as frames were thrown from the walls and canvas was torn to ribbons. The figure, clad in a heavy, black cloak, was now only meters away. Lily collapsed to the ground in terror. What could they do? She couldn't leave Harry and he was in no shape to move much less fight. They hadn't even started the Defense Club yet. No one had had practice since the year prior. How could they do anything?

Suddenly, Harry—still clutching his scar—pushed himself onto his hands and clenched his fingers around his wand, his knuckles were pale-white. With shaking hands, he pointed his wand at the figure and—with blood dripping from his scar into his eyes and mouth—said as best he could, "Incarcerous" The figure, apparently not hearing the uttered spell, was wrapped in conjured ropes and fell to the ground. With what little energy he had left, Harry sent a Patronus to Severus in a cry for help. Before he passed out and the Incarcerous lost its power, Lily clumsily picked up her own wand and recast the spell. Just in time, too, because as soon as it took, Harry fell to the ground and his spell fell with him. They hadn't even noticed how his Patronus had changed from the stag to a beautiful barn owl.

Severus came in record time and immediately recognized who stood before them. He didn't know what to do. Should he maintain the image of the loyal servant, or protect his children. His dilemma was solved by the entering of Dumbledore. The Headmaster cast his own Incarcerous, thanked Lily, stunned the figure, and asked Severus to levitate him to his office. He sent a Patronus to Poppy who came quickly to return Harry to the Hospital Wing. By that time, the bleeding had finally stopped. Not even out a day and he was back in the Infirmary. But that's just the luck of Harry James Potter.

~ ~ ~ ~

While Harry slept for another three days as his magic—aided by the potions he that he was given—worked to heal his mind and the damage done to his body. Lily had been given a Calming Drought right after the incident and was fine, but refused to leave Harry's side. She wouldn't even listen to her father. And Severus Snape knew that if she was anything like her mother, nothing could move her and trying would be a waste of time and effort. So he allowed her this and explained the situation to her professors. He visited every day—not to check on Harry, he knew the boy was in good hands with the medi-witch—to make sure that Lily at least, brushed her teeth, showered, changed her clothes, etc. because he was sure that if he didn't she would only move when she needed the restroom. Every time he visited, there was a new friend by the boy's bedside. He was glad the child had so many good friends. He needed them after what he'd been forced into in his childhood and even his future. He would pity the boy if he didn't know he had the mind, body, and relationships to get through it. That child would have support whatever he did wherever he went.

The Potion's Professor only hoped his godson would stop falling into dangerous situations. But he knew—probably best of anyone other than Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley—how improbable that would truly be.