Pinkie Promises

Pinkie Promises

No, no he's not, is what I would like to say, but the truth of the matter cannot be escaped.

Father urges me to take a seat next to him and I follow suit all the while averting the eyes of the janitor, Finn, who sits directly in front of me. I'm so terrified that if I do look at him I'll be lost in their chocolatey depths and forget the fact that he could just be like the rest of them. I have to keep my mind alert- the numbness starts slowly fading away.

“You know how you've been wanting a job recently?” Father inquires, addressing me.

Am I now? I wasn't aware of this. “I totally forgot! What with school and all and moving I haven't had time to think about that. You know how it is, right, Mr. Walsh?”

Oh gosh! The words sound so fake coming from my lips. I dare not see what Finn's reaction is to this statement.

Mr. Walsh smiles in return, creating even more lines on his face and nods in agreement, saying, “Of course. I find that young ladies at your age have so many things to think about that it, quite frankly, boggles my mind. Fascinating creatures aren't they? Wouldn't you agree, Henry?”

My lips twitch in amusement- on the inside I'm bent over laughing. What my father must think of that! Actually, I know what he thinks of that and it's the total opposite of what Mr. Walsh believes.

“Yes, well,” my father mutters and I can tell he's biting his tongue trying not to retort that statement. These are not like the normal friends father has. A bit of relief fills me, but I still don't trust them, “Mr. Walsh is an old family friend who used to live up our way but had to move down here. Him and his son run a pub together and they'll also be helping us with the trees when the time comes. But, anyways, they're actually in need of a waitress, so I told them you'd be available to help out some nights.”

What?! I screech in my mind, A pub, seriously? This definitely wouldn't have been my pick of a first job. I mean, aren't I little young to work at a pub? Not only that but I'd have to fend for myself there but I'd also have to fend for myself when I get home. Given that my father would also be home.

Silence fills the room as I ponder this suggestion of work. Father expects me to say yes, and I will give him the satisfaction of that answer. But, first, I want to make him get riled up a bit. It may not be in my best interest, but I've gotta get it in when I can.

Just as I'm about to give my answer Mr. Walsh cuts in and says, “Rest assured, Finn will always be working at the bar the same nights you're working. You're a bit under-aged to be working at a place like that, but if you won't tell anyone neither will we. Besides, seeing as you're family friends I thought I'd be a little more lenient.”

I give a smile of appreciation to him- although it won't help much when I get home- and then glance over at Finn for the first time. His eyes are shooting daggers into mine. I can tell he hasn't bought the normal platter of juicy lies and sparkling smiles we usually serve to our guests. Disbelief, wonder, and a hint of anger contort his features. This time it's my turn to squirm in my seat.

How could he tell I was lying the whole time? I've played this part so many times I'm sure there couldn't be a flaw in it anywhere. However, this man sitting in front of me has been able to distinguish the blemishes in our act. This man must never know the truth. A new task has been added to my priority list: stay away from Finn Walsh.

I turn my face away from his and make sure my true emotions are completely hidden. The charade must not end until the last customer leaves.

“Before I accept the job,” I answer in response to the offer, “I must know what my work hours and days would be.”