Chapter Two: Waiting

I unlock the large bolted door. We live in area 0763. Unlike the other area this one in particular is known for the relatively smart people. My sister Nyla and I were born and raised here. I started testing at ten, I've refused to be separated from my mother and Nyla since. Last year however was.. hard. We're running out of supplies. I won't let Nyla stay here any more than she has too. All the stress from the other Areas haven't been good for her mental state.
Our entire life is based off how smart you are and what your skills are. I've been teaching Nyla ever since she could walk anyting and everything she needs to know on the test hoping she would be sent away. Maybe she could be sent to a place with better surrounding areas. As I mentioned before, We are low on food, water, clothes, everything. And no, it's not just my family. It's all of ours. Everyone in the district has been sent to die eventually. I promise Nyla and I won't be here when that day comes. I've warned her plenty that she has to leave if she is called away. She can't stay with us any longer. I'm pretty sure I did not do good this year which only makes me worry more for Ny. Her entire life I've been her care taker.
I walk into the kitchen and begin to go through the pantry.
Rice, Mac and Cheese, and Mashed potatoes.. Not much of an option..
"How does Mac and Cheese sound for dinner?" I ask with a fake smile.
Don't get me wrong, I love my mom but she doesn't prepare Nyla to pass the test with flying colors. She wants us to 'enjoy being young'. Now a days being young isn't an option. To many people are being sent to die because of failing. I have to make sure Nyla isn't one of those people. She's always favored me over our own mother anyway.
"That sounds delicious!" Nyla yells from the other room.
I laugh and look for a lot to boil the water in.
"How do you think you did, Autumn?"
I smile and say,
"I go by Elena now, And I think I did really well!"
Nyla runs and jumps on by back,
"Of course you did! Your the best ever."
I laugh.
"Thanks, silly monkey but let's get started on today's work page. No more playing around!"
She runs into my room where I leave daily work pages for her to do. She always loves it oddly. I think she likes it most when I help her though.
Today is a Thursday, meaning it's languge day! I think we're on Spanish now. She's offically learned Chinese and French all ready.
Smart? Wrong. The right word is genius. Many kids her age are on Chinese still. I make sure that she has different days for different things and make it a game. Monday is literature, Tuesday is athletics, Wednesday is Science, Thurday is Languge, Friday is Math, Saterday is Social Studies and lastly we have Social Sunday! Social Sunday is a mix of her favorite things, most of the time it's a free art class day. We have a secdual placed on almost every wall in the house.
I study with her a lot of the time. Days like today however I have to cook and help her at the same time. I study before bed, normally really late or early the next day.
Nyla comes in with her pencil bag and our new Spanish books.
"Spanish? Already?! Really, Autumn!" My mom yells criticizing me.
I sigh and say,
"Once again, It's Elena.. And yes! Spanish is important to know for this years testing. I looked over the planning. The thirteen year olds and up need to know it and Ny is better than all those people, right?"
"Yup!!" Nyla yells unzipping her bag.
Our mom always craves for Nyla's love. It's kind of becoming a daily thing for Nyla to prefer me though. Not suprisingly she still wants to be needed. She walks over and pulls up a chair next to Nyla.
"Need help?"
She looks at me and then at our mom and says,
"Um.. No thanks. Elena can help for now. She's already passed German, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese and even Pig Latin!"
I chuckle and put the noodles in.
Tomorrow is going to be one intresting day..
Tomorrow is the day we find out where, if any, we're moved too. I can only hope and pray that Nyla gets out of here. I, on the other hand, would leave if possible but of course still wouldn't care if I had to stay and help mom. At least Nyla will be learning. She knows the secdual we practice and both my numbers and our moms.
Just in case I'll remind her when we eat though...