xxi . Claire Moore

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xxi.
( the sea of monsters )
❝ claire moore, part two ❞

╚═══════════════╝

CLAIRE MOORE. It was a name that belonged to many before it was mine. My grandmother, and her grandmother before her, and then her great-great aunt, Claire-Jane Moore. It was my mother's middle name, and if her brother ( the one no one ever talks to ) had been a girl, his name would have been Claire instead of Clyde. Claire Moores: girls with blonde hair and pale skin, perfect voices and good fortune. It was a tradition in a long-running family that if you give your child that name, they'd receive beauty and luck among their life.

And yet, I didn't get any of the luck apparently. My father was a narcissist greek god, who gave me powers I really don't need; my mother left me on the streets and ran off with my baby brother because of those powers; Luke and Thalia found me and brought me along in which we found Annabeth and then Grover—in which one turned out to be a backstabbing traitor, the other a pine tree ( which was now dying ) and the others two of my best friends in the world. In which one is still with me, fuming over Percy-The-Idiot, our other friend and the other is on a quest in which no other satyr had returned alive from ( and if Percy's right with his dreams—in danger ). Yeah, good luck.

I guess you can tell I'm not in the best mood. After my fight with Percy, Annabeth ( the gods bless Annabeth ) left him as well and the two of us were creating our own chariot. No way was it in spite of him ... not in any way. We're just going to kick his damn ass in the chariot races, that's all. If he'd rather build a chariot with his monster Cyclops of a brother ( the very species of monster that are responsible for Thalia's death ), well, then, go him. I don't care. I'm just going to beat his ass in the tournament...

Okay, maybe I'm doing it to spite him—just a little.

During the week that we built our chariot ( it was a little squeeze for time, since everyone else had started while we were busy fighting with Percy ), Annabeth explained to me everything going on with Chiron. She and Percy talked to him while he was still here and I was out in the infirmary.

"The poison was from the depths of Tartarus," Annabeth told me as we painted the sides of the chariot grey and the wheels, braces and everything else gold.

"So we know that ... well, you know, did it with Luke helping him," I said, frowning. "And if Chiron knows how to save Thalia, then why aren't we already going on a quest to find this thing?"