The Tested and The Ranked

When we arrive at the house from what seems like hours of walking across overgrown meadows, we are tested. As we walk through the door one by one now as the two chains have slotted into one line we are handed a sheet of paper and pencil. This makes me wonder why all electronics were destroyed, it would've been much less effort just to hand us a pear phone but instead they arrange for hundreds of sheets of paper to be made.

We walk through a metal hallway and right through the back door, 18 chairs are set out on the tiny garden. A female electic appears by my side and unlocks me and cuffs me to herself instead. I guess we all have a designated seat because this is happening to everyone. she has walked me to the farthest one possible from my sister, I try to stop and look for her but she was just to small to make out. The electic pulls me along and pushes me down into the chair. she uncuffs herself and leaves the cuff hanging heavily from my wrist. She belts me to the seat so I couldn't do a runner and nods at me and walks off. Does that mean we start? I look round and everybody is scribbling on their paper so I assume we are.

It was more like a scenario test, Now this sort of stuff I was good at.

I scribble as neat as I possibly can each awnser in as much detail I can think of. I have to pass this, my sister has to pass this. and I mean HAVE to pass this because if you don't pass then you go to whats called the ranking chamber. I haven't been there myself but I've spoken to someone who has. They said its a dark room and you have to stand there practically naked while dozens of people study you. Are you strong enough to be a water carrier? Could you help them in anyway?? If the awnser was no you are cremated alive. If I went there I reckon I'd have a good Chance of surviving as I'm pretty strong and I'm smart. I wouldn't cry as they take that as a sign of weakness and your more likely to be cremated, whereas my sister on the other hand would be bound to cry.

I scribble down my last sentence just as a horn blows. That's the end of the test. It's done. Over.

The electics collect all papers and walk away into a window room. they've just left us here, belted to a chair. I look to my left and I can see the outline of my sister right at the other end. No one speaks, we're to nervous for that. I think I see one of the electics shake their head three times. That means three people are taking a visit to the ranking chamber. They come out and read out the names of people who were going to the ranking chamber.

"Salli Mendic" they gesture for her to stand beside them. A young girl with black hair walks slowly up, I think I can see her shaking.

"Titan Specsdon" A young boy with rusty eyes strides up as if he thinks its funny he's been called.

"Mandi Hartsheild" I let out a gasp but stop myself quickly. My sister is shaking in her seat, she begins to stand up. But before she does my mind whirls and I scramble to Unclick my belt and throw myself out of the chair. I walk forward steadily but before I get to the electics they walk forward and take my arms and carry me away. Oh my god! I forgot they have our birthdays, they must of known I was trying to take the blame! I see my sister being carried away in the other direction. I scream and kick and i know it's only going to make my punishment worse but I don't care. My words gurgle like I'm crying but no tears roll down my cheeks. Everyone is looking at me including Clan. I silent myself and let my fury bubble inside.

I'm taken to a metal post not far from where the test was taken. they handcuff me there and pick up a piece of wood. They bring the wood down on my back and hit my back with the wood so hard the wood snaps in two. I scrunch my face up determined not to let any sound escape my lips. I can see six pieces of wood laying on the floor, it took three hits to break one piece of wood so I've got about 18 hits left. I swallow hard and brace myself for the next hit. Out of the corner of my eye I see the other tested people from my van walking towards me chained to the electics. They must want to show everyone as a warning, that if we don't do as we're told then this happens. They have a look of respect in their eyes. I can't bear to look at their pitying gazes so I look down at the metal post in front of me.

My back burns and stings so much it takes all my strength to stand up let alone walk. Some people would rest their hand on the metal post for support but I want to show the electics I'm stronger than they think. I'm led to a waiting room in which I wait for the result of my sisters ranking. I wince my eyes because I don't want any tears to tumble down my face. I'm silently praying for my sister to come out of that room alive. but the possibility of that happening has hit me now. the thought I might never see her again makes me want to cry and kill anyone who speaks to me at the same time. I want to whimper and collapse in a heap in the floor but I can't because then all that pain I went through without making a sound would've been for nothing. An electric walks in and I shoot them the most killing look. Then my sister follows and I leap up, she runs to me and I wrap my arms around her. it hurts me so much to hug her but Its worth it.

We're escorted back to the house, the electics are purposely pushing me forward on my back. I want to spit in their faces but my i don't want my sister watching me be in pain. They shove us through the door and lock us in the house. me and Mandi walk through to the sitting room and find all the other tested. One of them tells me she knows first aid and offers to do my back for me. I dont know wether to accept it or decline the offer. In the end I accept it because its not going to heal quickly on its own.