2 | The Arrival

II | THE ARRIVAL

    Kael paced along the wooden floorboards, hands tucked behind his back and eyes drawn to the old patterns along the grain. He paused, glanced at the strawberry clock, then at the door, then paced, and repeated. Three days had passed since the letter fell into the Deyens' doorstep, and Kly's arrival was expected today. Kael had been restless during the wait, worry and excitement filling his heart. Worry that his brother would not be the same, that he would not be what Kael expected him to be. But, excitement that the one he looked up to would finally be by his side.

    "Would you stop that already?" Lana dropped her half-finished knitted blanket to her skirt. "That's not going to make him come any faster."

    "I know, but..." Kael looked at the clock, then at the door. "What's taking him so long?"

    He tugged at his hair, stressful of the wait. He'd even worn his collared shirt and combed his hair for this occasion! Something he hadn't done unless prompted by Lana when visiting the town during Market Day. He suppressed a groan, realising he'd just messed up his hair. With a futile hand, he patted down at the erect strands.

    A soft smile tugged at Lana's lips. She couldn't blame him for his excitement. After all, the brothers hadn't seen each other for seven years. "He'll be here. It's not even noon. Why don't you go out and help your uncle for a bit? That'll help you pass the time."

    Kael snorted. "I'm not helping that old geezer. He'll probably make me feed the cockatrices and the falcons just for fun."

    He shuddered thinking about the cold predatory eyes of the falcons in the barn. He resumed pacing, biting at his nail.

    "Come now," Lana said, her calm voice straining. "You know Hont is getting too old to do all the work by himself."

    "Yeah," Kael said with a laugh. "But he refuses to hire help. He thinks he's still young enough to handle everything on his own. Ha! He's ancient! I'm surprised he hasn't turned into dust."

    Lana ground her teeth. "You know I'm not much younger than him."

    "I bet he's so old that he drank with General Crali!" Kael laughed, thinking about the great general that had served the country two-hundred-and-fifty-two years ago.

    Lana stood, dropping her knitted blanket on her chair. Having enough of Kael's complaints, she grabbed his ear and pulled him to the door.

    "Ow! Aunt Lana! What did I do now? Whatever it is, it wasn't me! It was Uncle Hont!"

    "Go out and enjoy some sunshine," Lana said with a forced smile. Before Kael could protest, she slammed the door in his face. Afia, startled awake, wailed, and Lana slapped her forehead. "Great."

    Huffing, Kael crossed his arms and leaned against the door. "Aunt Lana, always picking on me for no reason. She's so stupid." He kicked a rock, watching it skid in the dirt. Vovy approached with her tongue lolling out before plopping down on his feet. "She hates me."

    "Hey, shrimp!" Hont called from behind a fence.

    "Stupid Hont. Thinks he's so smart." Kael glanced at his uncle. "I'm not helping you feed the falcons, old man! Go hire someone from town!"

    "Stop being a baby and come over here!" Hont yelled. "Or I'm gonna drag you."

    Muttering to himself, Kael pushed himself up, pulled his feet from under the old dog, and trudged over to his uncle. Hont was in the middle of fixing the cow fence. After a bull had rammed into it, the little wooden post had been completely shattered to pieces with dangerous splinters posing a threat to the cattle.