prologue

Troye turned the corner and started walking briskly . There were several guards and sevants trying to stop him in his pursuit but it didn't work. The prince disregarded any word his eyes filled with tears and his mind coming up with the worst possibly scenarios.

He knew his parents were ill but through talk of the castle and his own servants he found their fate becoming permanent.

"Your highness," Someone says.

"Don't." He says pointing behind him.

The crowd of servants and guards stop as Troye rounds another corner and barges into his parents room. All eyes turned to the prince as a physician walks up towards him.

"Your highness," He says.

Troye breaks his teary-eyed gaze from his parents to look at the man in front of him, his eyes seemed to be glazed over as well. They seemed to tell Troye all he needed to know.

"No..." He said before pushing his way past the man and kneeling down at his parents bedside. "No, no no."

The prince sobbed causing everyone to turn their heads away from the scene. After a few minutes Troye took a deep breath before standing up and turning to the physician.

"Was it at least painless." Troye said.

The physician smiles sadly. "It was your highness," his smile falters. "But it wasn't an illness that took them, it was posion."

"Pos-posion?" Troye said.

"Yes your highness, but it wasn't through food, we would have found it by then. This was from something they owned, that they kept close."

Troye sniffed as he lifted his head from his mothers side. "It-it was someone it the castle."

Everyone looked at each other as Troye stood up and wiped his face. "I want the castle searched and whoever was apart of this will be hanged."

A silence fell over the room as everyone exchanged fearful looks. Finally someone stepped up, he opened his mouth but then quickly closed it trying to think of what to say.

"Your highn-.

"No," Troye said. "Whoever did this will pay with their lives."

There was no more room for trying to talk the young prince out of it. Troye left in a rush and head back the same way he came. As he did he stopped in front of a portrait of his family. Troye took a deep breath before gripping his sword and slashing the picture.

He looked at the picture tears welling in his eyes as he dropped to the floor and screamed, he screamed until he felt his lungs burn.

To him, this was the last time he would smile.

_

(;