IX - The Boy In Red

ChiarOscuro

IX - The Boy In Red

(1,745 Words)

(Next part this wednesday, this is the 3rd part of Book One, check out Episode 1 & 2 for no spoilers.)

SLASH.

She felt the body of the creature collapse onto her but she didn't feel the slicing of it's claws, the sinking of the fangs into her body. She slowly lowered her arms to see the creature cut in half looking up at her, it's mouth twisted in shock and she looked before her to see the back of the young boy, who just moments ago she was certain had been dead, standing before her.

'How?' she thought to herself as he span the sword he was holding in his hands, no longer red but a deep blue that seemed to shine as he pointed it right at the beast called Reken.

“You...” said Reken when the young boy flew across the room and swung his sword in three slashes, Dakar screaming as the creature roared in anger. He landed on a foot and knee before the beast, who looked down at the boy but before he could say anything, he burst into a ball of white light, a strong gust of wind blew them all back as Dakar collapsed onto the floor and the creature was gone.

There was a long silence as everyone still couldn't process what had just happened when the young boy turned round and fell down beside Baruto. He looked at him with watery eyes and hung his head down over him as he moaned “Master Baruto...no, no, no”

Dasha stepped forward and knelt down beside the grieving boy, who looked away from her, his tears falling to the floor and she put an arm round him, hugging him tight.

“I'm sorry” she said as she looked over the old man, his mottled white hair covered most his face and she couldn't believe that the man they had come for...they...she had failed. He was dead.

But they had found this boy, a boy who looked about their age who just moments ago had seemed dead when he had done what an iron club and full force of fire hadn't been able to do. He had killed those creatures.

That's when they heard more roars coming from downstairs and the boy lift his head up, his thin black hair waving out his face and she saw he had deep purple eyes.

“Master, you will get a proper rest, I promise, I promise it” he said under his breath and that's when he stood up and she followed him before he looked around at each one of them.

“We have to go. They're coming” he said “Can't you sense them?” he asked to a chorus of shaking heads.

“Follow me, stay close” he said as he run out under the arch and span on his heel to look back the the group, who were still so shocked and stunned, it was as if they had forgotten how to use their legs “Come on, we've got to get out of here. Right now”

“Hold on just a moment” said Dakar as he finally got to his own two feet “Who are you and what...what were those two things?”

“I'm Daygon” he said quickly looking up and down the corridor as he spoke “And they were Demons of course.”

“D..Demons?” said Dakar as Wex let out a loud 'Aha' pointing at him before he realised what that meant and Dasha felt her mouth suddenly go dry.

Dakar shook his head “No, they don't exist, it can't be.”

“Dakar, does it matter whether they exist or not right now?” said Isa angrily shaking him before she picked up her dagger and went to Daygon's side “Whatever those things are, we've got to get out of this place.”

Dasha nodded in agreement and she was the last to leave the room, giving one last glance towards Baruto, lying face down on the floor when she realised the strange symbol that had been painted on the floor almost seemed to be glowing and that's when she realised the burning smell before had come from her accidentally burning the old man in releasing her flame.