Chapter 7 - Radioactive

On the 25th of August 2014 I replaced chapters 1-6 with the updated, edited versions. If you already read the chapters before that date, you can just continue reading from this point. As I said, I only edited the chapters - The story stays the same.

Though, if you are interesting in the old version, I uploaded a comparision of the first 6 chapters (original and updated version). You can find it here: http://tinyurl.com/theexperimentedited

And now... After months... To the next chapter! (I apologize for the huge gap. I'm trying to finish this story here so I can move on to one-shots. I'm just not good at updating quickly, and I know a few of you die over it)

- - -

The days went by, and I sat every free minute in the office, watching YouTube-videos and reading advice texts about divorcing. After a while, I felt like I knew everything about it, but the thing was: Kalel and me weren't even married. We were just engaged, and the 'only'  thing I had to do was canceling our wedding.

I was about to try if Kalel answers her phone, when Ian knocked and came in, without waiting for my answer.

"Hey." His voice sounded pitying. "I just wanted to ask, if you finally talked to Kalel."

"I just wanted to call her. Don't rush me!" I answered.

"What, you're gonna CALL her? Are you insane? She won't even answer the phone!"

"Then, what should I do in your opinion?" I was annoyed by him saying what I should do and not do.

"Well, do it face-to-face!" Ian looked with wide opened eyes at me.

"But I don’t even know where she is, Ian."

"And what if I told you that I know where she is?"

Surprised I raised an eyebrow. I didn't expect him to know where Kalel was.

"Why do you know?" I asked.

Ian put his phone out of his pocket and waved it around.

When I didn't say something he explained: "Melanie knows where she is. They're good friends."

"So you talked with Melanie about it...?" I asked, because I wasn't sure how I should understand what he just said.

"Not yet." Ian unlocked his phone and touched the screen three times. "But I will now."

He tapped one more time, and I heard a loud "beep". After only two of these beeps, I heard Melanie's soft voice.

 "Hey, Ian."

The last time I heard her voice was pretty long ago, and hearing her through the phone felt weird. Especially because of the reason we called her.

Ian sat down on the ground, still holding his phone with his left hand. I copied him and sat down in front of him.

 "Hey." My friend now seemed unsure too. "Can I ask you something?"

 "Yeah, go ahead."

 "It's about Kalel. Where is she? We really need to know."

 "Ian, I knew that you would ask me that. But I promised her that I wouldn't tell you."

 "Why does she hide? She's running away from her problems."

 "She isn't hiding. She just needs time... Like all of us."

When I heard Melanie say this, I felt like I had to say something. "I needed time, too. But I had my time! We have to speak about everything, dammit! It's not easy for me either..." My voice broke at the last sentence.