Harry Needs You, but Doesn't Want To

about Harry Styles (au)

I could make you happy

I could make you love me 

I could disappear completely

WHEN YOU SLEEP (MARY LAMBERT)

Here I was for the third time this week pulling up to a frat party in the middle of the night. I didn't want to be here, but, just like all the other times he had too much to drink, he needed me. Usually it takes a great amount of pushing past drunk under-aged college kids to find him at these things. But this time, as soon as I reached the yard of the house, dimly lit by an array of neon party lights, I spotted a mop of curly brown hair, hunched over a bush.

"Yo! Harry dude! I thought we agreed no more puking in our bushes?!" Some frat guy was yelling at him from the porch. Harry's only response was to flip the guy off and grin while using the bush to hold him up. "Finally! Your baby sitter's here" The guy half-joked noticing my arrival.

Harry turned around to face me a little too fast, and he stumbled forward nearly falling. I tried my best to support him but there was no chance. I by no means would consider myself "small" or "petite", but compared to Harry's 6-foot, broad shouldered stature, he was too large.

"Hey! What're you doing her?" Harry drunkenly slurred semi-regaining his balance.

"Haz, you called me, remember?" Normally I would've been embarrassed calling him anything but his name. But I've done this enough times to know, in the morning, he won't remember any of the words exchanged tonight.

It took nearly an hour to get Harry back to my dorm room. Our new personal best. It's not that I live far from the frat house, it's more the process of getting Harry here. The trip usually goes something like, helping Harry stumble to the car, pulling over at every traffic light so Harry can throw up, finally making it to his apartment (which is past my own apartment), Harry begging me to help him to his front door, Harry realizing he "forgot" his keys, Harry asking if he can just crash at my place instead, me driving Harry back to my apartment, helping Harry stumble into my dorm.

It took about the third time of this routine being repeated for me to realize the coincidence of Harry forgetting his keys every time he went out, got shit faced, and called me to come pick him up, wasn't so much a coincidence. And even though it was the same thing every time, I never skipped the step of driving to his apartment, because I knew it meant he'd have to verbally ask me if he could stay with me. And in some sick way, I got off to hearing his lips form those words. It was something so small, but something that meant so much to me. And he knew that. Drunk or not.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of Harry attempting to tip-toe around, collecting his things before I'd wake up. And just like every other morning, I lay perfectly still, letting silent tears hit the pillow, while I listen to the boy I love try to pretend he was never here.

-------------------LATER ON CAMPUS-------------------

"Hey (Y/N), what did I miss in class today?" I swiveled around in the library chair to face the person who was speaking to me.

Before even facing him, I recognized the voice as a kid from my Biology class, who also happened to be from my hometown. We weren't necessarily friends, but we engaged in small talk every once in a while. Although I knew who it was before I turned around, I didn't expect Harry to be standing there with him.