Chapter 16: Lies

I was sitting cross-legged on my bed looking over my books when Ginny barged in and threw herself on the bed. She seemed to be severely upset about something and when she flopped over and kicked her legs and punched her elbows into the bed I knew it was time to ask.

"Something wrong?" I asked with a hint of amusement in my voice.

She flopped over again so that she lay on her stomach and put her hands underneath her chin. "The people here are so dense. Dean and Seamus just got into it with Harry about Voldermort. How stupid can these people be? They were there when Cedric and Harry entered the field. Harry wouldn't make this up."

"Not everyone is going to believe it so easily, Ginny. They don't want to believe those times are back again." Then I asked, "Did they say anything about Cedric?"

Ginny gave me a sharp look which I ignored. "They said that they have no reason to believe what him and Harry says because they weren't there when Cedric got attacked. Harry was 'alone.'"

I nodded. That's what most people had been saying. Cedric got the pity of people believing Harry attacked him even if that couldn't have been more absurd. Didn't they see the way they protected each other. They bonded over such a horrific situation that could've had a different outcome. I shuddered at the thought of Cedric not returning that night.

"Ron stood up for Harry though, saying that he believed him and everyone seemed to settle down after that, but I could tell it was affecting Harry." Ginny continued.

I stood up. "I think I'm going to go see him."

Ginny didn't answer, but I could tell she was still upset about what had happened downstairs. I walked over to the boy's dormitory and let myself into where Ron and Harry slept. Harry was sprawled on his bed and Ron sat on his and looked to be trying to talk to him.

"You alright?" Ron asked.

Harry answered briskly. "Fine."

"Seamus was bang out of order, mate. But he'll come through, you'll see."

"I said, I'm fine, Ron." Harry looked pointedly at him.

Ron stood up and looked towards me before returning to Harry. "Right. I'll just leave you to your thoughts then."

Ron walked towards me and didn't acknowledge me. I placed my hand on his shoulder and gave him a look that told him I appreciated what he had done downstairs. He shrugged and put his hands in his pockets before continuing out.

I walked towards Harry and perched myself on the edge of his bed. He seemed lost in his thoughts, but I knew he felt my eyes on him. Eventually he turned his head towards me and I saw all the stressed etched on to his young features. It's funny how traumatic events can age someone who could be so child-like.

"Harry." I stated in a sad voice.

"I know. I know. Don't let it get to me."

My hand reached over and touched his. "They're afraid. When they don't have any other choice they'll come around."

"But it'll save more lives if people are aware." His gaze went back to the canopy over his bed. After awhile he spoke again. "I was so alone this summer, Hermione, and now I feel it all over again."

"You're not alone. You have me and Ronald and Cedric. You have followers, Harry, people who love you."

He turned towards me. "How do you know Umbridge?"

Just the sound of her name sent shivers up my spine. She truly was a foul creature and I knew she was here to take Hogwarts from Dumbledore and install the Ministry within its walls. But the fact that Harry saw my recognition of her showed that I was losing my touch or maybe Harry was becoming more observant.