Chapter two

Mary looked with surprise, she hadn't expected such a creature to help her. "Holy ass of Queeny.", she whispered and only stared at Caren's horns. Caren watched Mary doing this but it felt like an eternity long. "Can I- can I touch them?", Mary's eyes shone like stars and slowly Caren nodded in agreement. As if the horns would flew away by touching them Mary was really careful and slide up and down. Caren was sure Mary didn't notice that she was talking while touching Caren's horns: "They're so beautiful. Feel like leather but somehow even more remarkable." Caren blushed at those words, she was glad that Mary had only eyes for her horns. "Do you know where we can go now? At your place it would be too dangerous and back into the tavern? Not a good idea either." Mary hadn't stopped caressing Caren's horns, but paid more attention to Caren now. "There is a big tree in the forest. I climbed it often when I was younger. Maybe we can hide there.", Mary said and for the moment it was okay with Caren. She had often slept outside, so she was used to it.

When they arrived at the tree, Caren heard Mary yawning. The two of them climbed up as high as they could. Caren stretched out her arms and pulled the coat tighter around her. "Only a few hours left until sunrise. We should catch as much sleep as we can.", Mary said and made it herself comfortable, well, as comfortable as it could be. "You're right. Good night.", Caren responded half drown into sleep.

The first rays of sunlight touched Carens face and woke her. Drowsy she opened her eyes and looked over to where Mary had slept, but she wasn't there anymore. Rapidly she overlooked the tree, but she wasn't there either. As fast as she could Caren climbed down the tree and ran a little way into the forest and ran straight into Mary's arms. "There you are! I was worried that you might have been caught by the guys from yesterday.", Caren said breathless. "Hey hey!", she laughed and held up a few herbs in her hand. "I was only searching for something to eat. No danger in here, trust me." Caren was relieved, but still not sure what Mary thought. Just stepping out of their hiding place to find herbs. There were still those witch-hunters who wanted to kill her. She couldn't just bring herself in such immense danger! "Promise to never do that again, please.", Caren had no idea why she was so worried about Mary, but she had a strong and almost beaming aura and Caren wanted to find out more about that: "Do you know that you have a confusingly strong aura?" Mary looked puzzled and hesitated before answering the question. "I'm not sure what you mean. But I haven't noticed something like this.", Caren watched her, but she had really no idea. "Do we want to stay here and get caught or do we want to hide somewhere and eat herbs?", Mary asked her and seem to have forgotten about the awkward question. Caren nodded in agreement and followed after her.

Mary began to eat leaf after leaf: "Do you want some too?" "I'm hungry like a bear.", Caren said and gladly took some of the last herbs. She wondered were Mary had found those, but was glad that she had. "Why were you in the tavern any way? Creatures like you are not really respected here.", Mary looked up to face Caren. "I know, but I want to find the Duke Rednet. I have a letter to him, or from him, I don't know exactly. But he is my only clue to find my past.", she answered honestly. Caren was a honest person, not to all, but she trusted Mary. "I see. So you have no family?", she asked curious, as if she wanted to know everything about Caren. "Not anymore, I suppose. I want to believe that I had one, but I can't remember.", Caren wanted to find out about Mary as well, but she had no idea how to formulate a question. Mary stopped asking questions at that point, she only smiled and was lost in her own thoughts. Caren catched the chance: "Do you have a family?" Mary hesitated a bit and opened her mouth, but said nothing. That was the first time Caren had seen her struggling. Finally Mary found the right words and said: "Almost, I wanted to build a family with a person I love, but as things turned now I can't bring him in danger. I think I will go to another town and find a place to live there." "Oh I'm sorry. I think you love him very much.", tenderhearted she touched her arm and tried to find the right words to say in such a situation. "No, no. It's okay. I am sure he will understand that I have to go. Our town is little, so everyone knows everyone and everything. He will soon know what had happened and whish me farewell. And he would understand too, that when we meet again in the futur, I probably have another one, but he will be my first and only love.", Mary explained to her. For Caren it seemed as if Mary would have wanted to run straight into town to see her loved one just one more time. Caren wanted to help her with this. "Let us sneak into town at night. I will help you, that you can say goodbye in a more- more verbose way." Mary looked confused: "Do you really want to help me?" "Sure. I can see that you would go anyway, so at least I can help you not being caught.", she answerd smilingly.