CHAPTER TWO

I could feel it happening, but I couldn’t stop it. There was a part of my mind trying to knock the impulse out, make me stop walking over to my car, and make me turn around and get in the limo. But you can’t control the impulses. I’m almost certain that I heard them calling out for me, asking me where I was going. But no matter how much I tried to turn back, I couldn’t.

Ten minutes later, I found myself at the back of a supermarket. The impulse finally left (it always does, once I get to the place I need to go.), and I was so glad. It’s a horrible feeling, the impulse. It must be what it’s like to be hypnotised, except that you can actually feel it happening, you’re completely aware of it. But you can’t do anything to stop it. You’re powerless to it. And I hate it. I hate it more than anything else.

My phone began ringing, and I quickly rooted through my bag to find it. Twenty missed calls. Ooops. With a shaking hand, I accepted the call, waiting for the onslaught.

“Teagan! Where the hell are you?! You just upped and left, without a damn word!”

I cowered away from the phone, Savannah’s loud voice scaring me. And I honestly couldn’t think of any excuse as to why I left. Well, none that I could explain, anyway.

“Um… I remembered that I needed to pick up some milk?” I offered, hoping that she would buy it, but knowing that she wouldn’t.

“Teagan, I’m not stupid, no matter what it may look like at times. And this happens way too frequently for it to be a coincidence. I know you have a secret. I thought we were friends?”

“We are-“

“Friends don’t keep secrets from friends. So either you explain, right now, or else I am never speaking to you again.”

I panicked. On one hand, Savannah was the closest thing to a best friend that I had. I could usually trust her with anything. And didn’t I tell random people about my gift? Sure, I didn’t give them my name, and they didn’t know anything about me, but it was the same thing, right? But then, what if she thought that it was too weird? And what if she told people? I could deal with strangers knowing, as long as I knew I would never see them again. But what if everybody in my town knew? I’d have to move, change my name. I figured that the newsstation would have a field day, if they found out. No, I couldn’t risk it.

“Savannah, I’m sorry I can’t –“

“Bye, Teagan. Have a nice life.”

The other line went dead, and I stared at my phone in shock. Had that really just happened? Did I just lose Savannah’s friendship? The silence on the other end told me ‘yes’. I knew that I was trying to protect myself, but how many more people do I have to lose because of this damn ‘gift’?! I never asked for it, hell, I would have never asked for this!

I shoved my hand back into my bag, and leant against the wall, with tears running down my face.

“Hey.”

I jumped and looked up, completely startled. It was the ghost that made me meet them here. “What do you want?” I asked venomously. I regretted it instantly when they flinched away from me. I caught myself almost apologising, but remembered that this was the reason as to why Savannah and I aren’t friends anymore. I glared.

“I don’t know. Am I… am I dead?”

Pity for the young man in front of me suddenly overwhelmed me. Here I am complaining about a girl that doesn’t respect me enough to allow me have my own secrets, when here he is, dead as a doornail.

“Yes, I’m sorry, sweetie. For what I said, and for, well, your death,” I meant the apology. And I really should be used to people walking out of my life at this stage.