Chapter 1

Chapter 1- Bridget

            My alarm struck seven as I rolled out of bed to check how many missed texts from Tyler sat, waiting for a reply, in the inbox on my phone. I just couldn’t seem to get this undying craving to crawl back under the covers out of my mind as I checked my messages. Are you serious? Eight texts? And all of them from Ty. How he could even manage to be texting this early I did not know, but I sure couldn’t be bubbly at seven o’clock in the morning.

            Tyler has been my best friend since the fifth grade. Basically, we were brought together by my good friend Ryan, and ever since we just seemed to have a connection.

            “Geez, did you drink Monster with your breakfast this morning?” I wrote, tossing my phone back onto the bed and stumbling to my closet in search of a decent outfit to wear to school today. Not in the mood to be uncomfortable, I threw on a Blue Aeropostale T-shirt and dark wash jeans, grabbed my phone, and stormed out of the room.

            “Are you okay?” He replied suddenly, the buzzer making me jump. Of course, it was only characteristic of him to ask me that. That was just how Tyler was. He could cheer you up in an instant and doesn’t even have to think about what he says to do so.

            “Yeah. I’m just not feeling right.”  I answered, brushing through my hair several times and with a quick smile, dashing out.

I nearly walked into a wall on my way downstairs. My mother stood in the kitchen, frying up some eggs and bacon for my brother and I. “Tristan!” She hollered at the foot of the steps, “You’re going to be late!”

            You could clearly hear the thump of feet hitting the floor as he stomped out of his bed room to clean up a bit. My phone went off again, “I’m sure six hours of school will cheer you right up.” He texted, adding a winking emoticon to the end.

            A smile came to my face as I replied, “Gee, can’t you tell how excited I am?”

            “Bridge, can you pull away from your phone to eat a little breakfast?” My mother asked, placing my plate of food down on the table.

            She sat directly across from me, a gentle smile across her face. “So how has school been going?” She asked me, digging into her untouched meal.

            “Good.” I said, lifting a piece of bacon to my mouth to nibble on.

            “Is everything going okay with Jayden?” She questioned locking eyes with me. Of course she would want to know about my boyfriend. Every time we talk she wants to know about Jayden.

            Jayden and I have been dating for a couple months now…and it’s been getting pretty serious. Like very serious. He wants to take the next step; a step that I am totally not ready for yet. “Mom, haven’t we talked about this.”

            She stared down at the floor, not saying a word. My mother didn’t like Jayden in the slightest bit. He was an only child of two drugee parents and could barely make a C average in school, but I liked him. He understood me. “I’m just looking out for you, sweetie.”

            “Jayden likes me and I like him; that’s all that matters.”

            My mom held that look of worry on her face that all parents had when it came to their children. I’d never had a dad, because he had died when I was just a small child. He was killed overseas when my mother was still pregnant with me.  My mom had never been the same…or so she tells me anyway. She ended up having to fulfill both the supportive mother and overprotective father roles all by herself.