Chapter 43: Familiar Face

The party ended shortly after the letter was delivered. It was no longer a time of celebration. The lovely dance Alexander and I shared minutes before faded into the darkest regions of my memory and was replaced by a powerful wave of anxiety. I was frightened at the possibility of my nightmare from nights past coming true.

Alexander pooled his men together, along with myself, to discuss the letter. The letter called for a meeting between Larska Officials and I. They wanted to discuss conditions of my 'safe' return. I was choked up that they were concerned with my safety.

What a blatant lie!

I sat near the end of the large meeting table, next to Alexander, who sat at the end in a towering chair. Behind him stood his Council. Harold hovered closest to me, with a scheming smirk scaling across his face and a silver goblet filled with wine clutched in his hand. Across the table sat Lord Harrison followed by Elder Simon and several higher ranking knights. I got James a seat next to me along with Cassandra-with the help of a thousand pleas to Alexander. He allowed it only to calm my nerves, otherwise they wouldn't have been invited. Truth be told it helped somewhat.

I sat back in my chair, pacing each breath I took. It was all I could do to combat my hyperventilating gasps. All the while Alexander and his close Council discussed what the letter could mean, other than the obvious. I'd drift in and out of their heated discussion. The tides that pulled me numbed their words, making them harder to grasp and follow. Soon their words were only echoes, echoes of people who had no idea how this news affected me. Their only concerns were with the Kingdom's safety, so I was left with solitude, once again.

Harold piped up; his question broke over the table waking everyone's sleeping minds. "The letter merely states they wish to make contact with their citizen. To make sure she is alright and to discuss the terms of her return to Larska. They never ask for escapees, even if they're spying for them. They'd deny it, like they always do."

Lord Harrison guffawed, his laughter drowned the useless conversation Alexander's Council were having.

"Of course they deny it. They'd be admitting they broke treaty if they did." He sat tall in his chair. The burning eyes of Alexander's Council were disregarded by him. He would have gladly struck each one of them down, but refrained because of their titles. He tolerated them merely because of it.

"Instead of acting like a bunch of horses asses, why don't you come out and ask your question? This meeting has gone on longer than needed. I've got a group of men I need to train in the morrow, which is now a few short hours away, thanks to you," Lord Harrison grumbled then took a swig of his wine.

Alexander sat back and tilted his head; his eyes were on his Council with peaked interest. They glanced back, but one gazed over at me. It was Harold. I could tell he was about to say something utterly disturbing by the loving stare he was giving me. Simon shook his head subtly as if to warn Harold to keep whatever he was about to say, 'respectful'.

My head lifted, I knew what he was going to accuse me of before he spoke.

"You think I'm a spy, don't you?" I quizzed him before he could ask. My fingers tapped against my lap in a soft but steady beat.

"The thought occurred," Harold answered smugly.

That does it, my hands jumped to the tabletop with that thought. I was done with his games. I wasn't going to sit back any longer and be 'respectful'. Hell, nobody else was. I had to stand up for myself!

I shuddered, my unruly, reckless request. "Cast me out of Berthold. I don't want to hear this nonsense anymore!"

"Cast you out, so you can run back to your masters?" Harold muttered back with a daunting smile.