Chapter 4: Golden Cloaks

The attack from the giant serpent, and the secret encounter with the mysterious woman, were beginning to feel like a distant memory to Alanis

The attack from the giant serpent, and the secret encounter with the mysterious woman, were beginning to feel like a distant memory to Alanis. As they continued their journey to Berthold, her concerns and nervousness about reaching James' homeland had nearly been forgotten.

   Unfortunately those worries were replaced with new ones, as the need to eat, and rest took priority.

What was supposed to be a half day trek by foot, became two, long, tiring days, and to make matters worse, the young knight was a lot like her Official, Justin. His constant nagging to be careful of every minute thing was beginning to infuriate her. There were times she wanted to do something drastic, on purpose, just to get back at him.

   Fortunately for him, she listened to her better judgment, and ignored those childish impulses, figuring it would only make him worse.

When he wasn't annoying her with his overprotectiveness, he somehow managed to find other ways to annoy her. Every now and again, he would pipe up, offering a upbeat comment as they walked. One statement, in particular, was beginning to annoy her to no end—

   Don't worry, just a little longer till we reach Berthold.

   He would repeat that stupid line almost every time they stopped to rest, or if he detected a shred of concern from her. After awhile, she didn't know if he was trying to convince her, or himself, that they weren't lost.

Because it certainly seemed like they were.

—————

The terrain was starting to grow bumpy, and the hills grew larger the further they walked. Alanis looked down at her worn slippers from time to time while they rested. It wouldn't be long before they would break, she feared, realizing the grounds ahead wouldn't be any easier to scale.

   Come on, just a little further. Don't make me walk barefooted in this place, she pleaded with her shoes as she treaded over a large grouping of rocks.

Thankfully, after several miles of walking, and climbing boulders, the land was becoming more forgiving. The thick trees that surrounded them began to thin, and lush fields of grass soon took their place.

   Alanis stopped, staring in awe, as the winds brushed the tall grass in gentle waves ahead of her. It was truly mesmerizing, the sounds that carried over the vast field were gentle, and calming.

Well, almost.

   If it weren't for the sobering fact that they were nowhere near Berthold, or anywhere else, for that matter. They were still lost, it was evident by James' faraway stare into the fields.

They continued their walk in silence for awhile longer, until they neared the end of the large field.

"So," James hummed nervously.