Masquerade

The entire ballroom was bustling with invitees. A variation of styles, colors, and personalities flooded the floor. Having been only half an hour since the masquerade dinner event began, I was somewhat surprised of the guest turnout. I had only sent out the invites a few hours prior.

"Ms. Green, security has notified that Mr. Jeremiah Lee has entered the estate," Gary said.

As I glanced down at the ballroom one final time, I replied with artificial confidence.

"It's about time. Let us go and present ourselves with poise and elegance."

Gary offered his arm. I gladly took it and walked steadily down the helix stairway. As the both of us approached the marble floor, my eyes darted from corner to corner of the room. Several men whose physiques resembled that of Jeremiah's as I had recognized from online photos had their faces hidden behind their masks. Maybe I had chosen the wrong theme.

"Ms. Green, if you are in need of a mask, I have prepared one in advance."

As the guests took notice of my presence, I flashed my teeth with grace while ignoring Gary. Both men and women began to whisper as I made my way across the expansive room.

"When do you believe Jeremiah will arrive at the door?" I asked quietly whilst I continued to smile.

"Security has just notified that Sir Jeremiah's vehicle has arrived at the entrance."

What impeccable timing.

Gary hurried in front and opened the tall red elm doors with a security guard. Despite the loudness of the ballroom, my anxious heart beated rapidly, vibrating against my rib cage rather noticeably. I also found it hard inhaling deep breaths while continuing to smile widely. It wasn't impossible, but the task was inconvenient.

The cool air chilled my spine immediately as the doors opened. The night sky was filled with stars, and the moon shone down reflecting the limousine. As I observed that Jeremiah was not in sight, I ordered Gary to hurry down the steps and open the door for the leader of Siri.

"Remember Gary. Have no eye contact, yet show no fear."

He nodded confidently, and made his way down towards the limousine. The closer he became to opening the car doors, the quicker my heart beat. Sweat beads began to gather in the folds of the palms of my hands. I clenched my teeth as anxiety and worry took over my mind.

What is Jeremiah Lee here for? What if he did indeed come to declare war on us?

My thoughts of how I would protect Eluweth and and how I would prevent any warfare to occur ran through and clouded my brain.

Would it be better if I gave the throne to a strong male figure? Should I have tried harder to find my father? He would have known what to do. He would have been decisive. He would ha --

"Miss Green?"

The voice. It wasn't Gary's.

"Your highness."

This voice I recognized. It was Gary's.

"Gary, I have told you I am not yet your highn-"

My words came to an abrupt stop as my mouth froze. My eyes looked up at who I expected to be Gary when I realized the sight was not of the bald, and short man. My eyes widened. Shocked, I had inhaled in too much air, and as a result, I coughed. I choked. Jeremiah Lee was already standing in front of me. To be more precise, he was standing over me, as he looked down right into my eyes. He was taller than I had conceived him to be in television and in the Internet.