Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Jenn sat on her bed as her waiting women fiddled with her belongings. Her meeting with Arthur Pendragon was ….well she did not really know how to describe it. He was…different that what she thought he would be. He was a bit cold to be fair. But maybe that was just his behaviour in public. She was certain that when they would be alone she would know this man more and he would be more gentle, loving and maybe even passionate. But for now, well at least till the wedding, she had to accept him as this great King. He had to act his part after all. She smiled and noticing that she was in the way now most of the time for most waiting women, decided to have a walk around the garden. While she desperately wanted to go inside the council chamber to see her love once again, she knew it best to not too. She did not after all wanted to make a bad impression.

Now in the garden , she was sitting under a big tree in the shade as for a summer afternoon it was pretty hot. After sitting for a while Jenn got bored and she decided to have a wonder around the castle, after all she did not really get to explore the castle. She was a bit busy when she had arrived, trying to escape.

She noticed Brennus standing close to one of the walls of the castle courtyard, speaking to one of the guards. He was being explained something by an older man. Brennus looked like he was not paying much attention then and his eyes were wondering, scanning various objects around him. Then his gaze met Jenn’s. At first his eyes just looked around her and then they focused on her. Jenn noticed this and decided to come up to say hello. After all he was her friend.

“….Are you listening?” the older man screamed at Brennus. Brennus looked back at the older man and answered calmly

“Yes sir. I’ve got everything.” He then looked at the floor.

“Good. Now I  am going to organise the rest of Lady  Guinevere escort to Camelot. You know your job” the older man hissed and turned away hastily, strolling off in the direction of the barracks. Jenn waited for “the man to be out of view and then approached Brennus

“Hello Brennus” she greeted him. He looked up from the floor and smiled weakly. Again he looked like something was troubling him.

“Are you ok?” Jenn asked . He again was avoiding looking her in the eyes. “Brennus look me in the eyes. Its an order.” Jenn liked that she could now use her position to her advantage. Brennus swallowed and looked at her. His eyes seemed paler than she remembered

“Its nothing my Lady. There are just a lot of things to organise now that is all. We were looking for you actually” he looked at the floor again. “Your father wishes to know if you wish to have Lord Arthur’s personal guards escort you to Camelot or if you would like his force…and me?” he looked up hopefully.

“Look Brennus, you saved me once, of course it will be you!” Jenn exclaimed a bit too loudly. Some people turned to look at Jenn and Brennus. Brennus stepped back a few steps and added “then I will get everything ready. Good luck Lady” he gestured at the figures going out of the council chamber “ Looks like you had better go and say goodbye to Lord Arthur” Jenn looked at the direction of Lord Arthur. He looked serious and powerful. he looked at her wearily and then smiled. Jenn turned around to see that she was now standing alone in the courtyard. Her father and Lord Arthur approached her.

“Daughter why are you not in your chamber?” asked her father, slight embarrassment was on his face. He turned to Lord Arthur.

“Well there is not much room and-“

“I know you’re feeling Lady. I myself prefer the outdoors to a stuffy room” Arthur smiled at Jenn warmly. Then he kissed her hand again “I bid you farewell Lady. We shall meet at Camelot”

Brennus’ POV

I had to get away quickly from there. The moment I saw Lord Arthur closing the council chamber door. It was for the best, the worst I want is her match to be ruined because of  me. She is a nice lady and treats me more as if I was her friend than servant, which I noticed the moment I met her. The lady just has a good heart I tell myself. I am honoured to accompany her to Camelot and serve her but she needs to be more careful otherwise she could get herself in trouble. While I would wish to spend more time with her I cannot risk it. I have to  be cold to her. I just hope that she would not take it the wrong way. I do want to be kind. I do want to be friendly but its too risky. I care for her reputation not mine. After all she seemed so excited about this match.

But I keep wanting to  somehow see or meet her. I could not not talk to her when she approaches me.  I just hope that Lord Arthur does not suspect us of anything.

I sit now in the barracks silent by myself. I hear my friends discussing various things like armour and the weapons and how Camelot will provide for us but I do not listen. I am not in the mood.

“Brennus!” one of my friends Azar exclaims. He is already drunk even though its not even evening yet. I look up from my food at him. My other friends stare at me

“So what do you think?” One of them asks

“About what?” I shoot back quickly.

“Well Lady Guinevere of course!” The other adds in a drunken voice.  “A fair lady don’t you think!”

I don’t answer. I don’t want to answer.

“Oh come on Brennus, tell us what you think!” Azar exclaims. The other knights support him

“Come on tell us!”

“We all want to know!”

I sigh and gather my thoughts.

“Well she is a fair Lady. I am sure that Lord Arthur is lucky to have her as a wife” I say calmly and monotonously.

“Oh come on, we all know that. We want to know what you think! She has a nice body, don’t you think!” Azar laughs “ Oh if I were Lord Arthur!” I launch to my feet quickly. The others look at me weirdly.

“She is not some kitchen girl to be talked about like that Azar!” I hiss out angrily. Azar is taken aback my actions and now looks at me confused. The others stare at me. I sit down embarrassed.

“What’s up with you today?” Azar asks finally. “You have not been yourself” Some women enter to bring us mead and food. I don’t want to eat. I see my friends eat quickly and then right on the same table take the women that come. One of the ladies approaches me from behind and puts her arms around my neck. I shake her off angrily. She just sighs and goes to Azar.

“Fine Brennus. Just more for me!” Azar laughs out as he undresses her in front of my eyes. I could not care less. I get up quickly and go out of the barracks. I just want to get myself to my room.

Ok so I have written this while on holiday as well. Some more thoughts that Jenn has on Arthur. I also tried to do something new. This chapter featured Brennus'' POV about the whole situation. He is after all an important character in his own right. I might try to do this POV thing for other characters too as I love getting inside their heads. Probably will do one on Arthur and even Lancelot (when we get to him) . Otherwise till next chapter :)