twenty eight

(a/n: i apologize for the wait. here's the chapter - let's get on with the action :) it is payback time so i'm fully within my rights to have this gif here. oh, and dedicated to OrSpace who's written a superhero story of her own! check it out. )

twenty eight

XANDRA'S PLAN SEEMED bulletproof. Of course, she'd had time to think over it again and again and time again during her time working here as Jess, but she'd managed to gather information vital in bringing down Ingrid Giek - Tetra - once and for all. Even though Tetra was Xandra's ex ...

Yikes. Thank you next?

It had turned personal for me, too. I know - or rather, theorized - that Vector must still be unaware of my true identity, but from what I've been told I know he apparently agreed with the plan to remove me from the situation. Well, Vector. That decision was strike one, two and three. You're out.

When I next saw Vector, I would deck him. A proper right hook, something that would sink through his eye socket and into his brain, where it perhaps would knock some sense into him. Yes, that seemed appropriate. For now, though, Xandra and me would be stuck planning how to take down Tetra.

"How can you be sure Python won't actually be helpful in this case?" I asked, staring Xandra down. We were still in Sawyer's office, which she'd searched for bugs before continuing our discussion.

Xandra stood up from the chair, scoffing, "I infiltrated them with a fake resume. I'm the leader of a slightly criminal enterprise, for heaven's sake."

I raised a brow, "Still. They don't exist without some kind of reason."

Xandra nodded slightly, but I could see she had an answer lined up already, "You're not entirely wrong, which is why I've gathered information on the situation from them. They've good sources, so it's not incorrect. Besides, I had to erase some of the files they had on me."

I sighed, and she raised a brow.

"What?" Xandra smiled, quick and dangerous, "- either way, we are going to use their resources when we take her down. They just can't do the last part. The finishing off." The smile dropped its joy, turning ruthless, "- that leaves us."

"You don't believe they can bring her back to the prison? That it can't keep her?" I asked, heart drumming. The finishing off echoed in my head. A hard knot formed in my throat.

"I wholeheartedly don't. I would bet my entire storage of champagne - don't make that face, it's way bigger than you realize - that she would find a way to get out again." I leaned back, nodding.

"Okay. Alright." I said, attempting to move my wrists so they wouldn't turn too stiff and die, "- it's up to us, then. Vector?" I cocked my head, a light anger simmering in me as I spoke his name.

He had betrayed me. We'd formed a partnership, yet he'd betrayed me. It infuriated me more than I'd like. I could only think of how I'd come to trust him - how he'd helped me throughout my early 'adventures' in Dynamo, yet in the end shoved me aside. Either he was a diva, eager to get the spotlight back on himself, or there was something I'd missed. I highly doubted he was in cahoots with my brother, but rather I just believed he had a misplaced belief about 'doing the right thing'.

God. This is turning my mind into mush. Since when have I spent so much energy in thinking about a stupid boy?

"Vector is not a part of our plan." Xandra said evenly, "- he's way too intertwined with Python at this point." She nodded to my cuffs, "- isn't this his doing?"