Verith's First Halloween (Female Orc x Female Reader)

"You're not making your case very well," Verith said as tucked the folded sheet down over the corner of the mattress

"You're not making your case very well," Verith said as tucked the folded sheet down over the corner of the mattress. "I don't understand this human holiday of yours, I never have."

"Haven't you ever celebrated it?" You asked her as you tucked the opposite corner down.

"No, of course not," She said scornfully. "The gym is closed for human holidays and I stay in the community during most of them. Just watching about it on T.V. was mind-boggling."

Verith was an orc and had lived in a closed orc stronghold community just outside of Willowridge for her entire life. The stronghold, called Willowshield, did a lot of things the old way, as in they made a lot of their own things themselves. You'd been there a few times with Verith to visit her family and was amazed by the weird mix of modern and medieval. They did have some modern things, like wifi and cell phones, but they had their own grocery, farmer's market, butcher, home goods store, and even had a real blacksmith, cobbler, and glassblower. But they didn't have a cafe or a crafts store or a gym, so many of the orcs took jobs in town to enjoy a few outside luxuries that Willowshield didn't yet have.

Verith worked at the local gym as a personal trainer, and you were immediately attracted to her. However, knowing she lived in Willowshield made you feel hesitant to ask her out, fearing that perhaps she just wasn't interested in humans. Even still, you took extra classes with her to the point where she suspected you were addicted to exercise, but in reality, you just wanted to spend as much time with her as possible, too chicken-shit to ask her out.

It wasn't until she got annoyed with you following her like a wounded puppy that you were forced to admit your feelings for her. She was surprised, but open to the idea. It only took one date for you to fall in love with her, and she wasn't far behind. In fact, it had been her idea to move in together.

You'd expected that she'd want you to live in Willowshield, as some non-orc mates had done, but she actually left the community and moved into your small apartment. She said she wanted to understand more about the human world, having been cut off from it most of her life. She'd lived with you for almost three months by this point, but she still struggled to understand human customs and cultures. The newest struggle was Halloween, which was just three days away.

"So people dress up, eat candy, get drunk, and act like assholes? That's the premise you're trying to get me to go along with?"

"Please, I've been to orc weddings," You told her, throwing a decorative pillow at her. "I seem to remember a certain hot personal trainer who got drunk at her brother's wedding and ended up wearing the ceremonial communal wine chalice on her head."

"Hey, that is a well-respected tradition, I'll have you know," She protested.

"Sure, it is," You said skeptically.

"Okay, well, explain it to me," She said as she shook out the quilt. "It's a holiday about being scared? That's so unnatural to an orc. Orcs aren't supposed to get scared; we see fear as weakness. Hell, we growl and make terrifying faces at our children when they're infants to teach them not to fear anything that looks or sounds frightening. We certainly wouldn't dedicate a holiday to being afraid."