Chapter 2 - Unexpected Meetings

Hey so this happened eventually. Thanks to those who commented/voted/added to their reading list.

Thoughts in Alex's POV

Alexandra Stark rose with the rest of the royal procession, waiting impatiently for her faction of guards to close in around her. She sped up to join her uncle as they proceeded towards the royal dining hall.

"Are you alright, Uncle?" Alex murmured quietly as she stepped up beside him.

She watched him immediately straighten, effecting the air of fake confidence that he attempted in social situations, "Of course, Alexandra. Why wouldn't I be?"

Alex winced internally at the fear and anxiety so obvious in his voice and body language. Her father had clearly inherited the social grace of the family.

"No reason at all, Uncle. You've probably saved all of Talisdale," Alex replied, attempting to lessen his embarrassment as she strained to catch a glimpse of Kristen Rusakov. The commander stood, frozen and impassive, near the entrance to the hall awaiting the royal procession.

Meanwhile, Brunner Stark puffed out his chest and relaxed ever so slightly, "Yes well. Duty and honour, you know? Things women don't need to worry about."

Alex's pity for her uncle quickly vanished to be replaced with a sharp pang of annoyance and fury. To her credit, the only outward sign of tension showed in the stiffening of her jaw as she moved ahead to join her parents.

"I bet you wouldn't dare say that to the Commander. Or you would, cause you're dumb as hell,"she muttered under her breath. Alex sighed and her gaze drifted to Kristen's in time to catch the look of obvious amusement. Oh shit, vampire hearing.

She coloured immediately and looked straight ahead, speeding up to find her seat in the dining hall.

⦁   ⦁   ⦁   ⦁   ⦁

Alex woke to unobscured moonlight in the soft cushy bed filled to the brim with the garish pink and purple pillows that her father insisted were fitting for young women like herself. She slipped out of bed, washing and dressing quietly as she considered the reason she couldn't sleep. The Commander had retired from dinner early, excusing herself to settle her troops and confer with her war council before nightfall. Through dinner she had eaten little and spoken even less, seeming absent-minded and indifferent to all attempts at conversation. While Tyronus had regarded her with increasing doubt, Alex had wondered whether she was too busy listening to everyone else's conversations to focus on her own.

Snatching a lantern from her bedside table, Alex moved through the hidden passage behind her outlandishly girly vanity table and proceeded through the darkness. In truth, she didn't need the lantern, she knew the way by heart. But it always pays to be safe – especially when you're ditching your excessively uptight and overbearing royal guardians. Alex sped through the passages, making a quick stop at the library to relieve the librarians of a couple of their more rare books on combat magic. Finally, she emerged into open air and, ducking out of the sightlines of the patrolling guards, she crawled through a gap in the hedges that surrounded the outer edges of the Sacred Talisdanian Gardens. Tossing some dried meat to the guard dogs milling about, Alex strode quickly through to the most private sections of the Gardens. There, she kicked off her shoes and leafed through the books until she found the spot she had left off and began to practice.  The physical and mental focus required to perform combat magic had always been both stress relief and escape from the outside world. The challenge and beauty of the combat forms never failed to distract her from the disturbances of court life. But let's be real here. You're looking to be distracted from her.

It had been a long time since she had practiced, having been preoccupied by the preparations for the vampire army's arrival, and her muscles protested in response. The loose white cotton shirt and dark, baggy pants obscured her small frame as she moved through the light, quick motions practiced in Talisdanian combat.

Alex gave a frustrated sigh as she swiped at the light strands of blonde hair that had come loose from the burgundy silk ribbon tied behind her head. Her delicate features were covered in a light sheen of sweat and she straightened in annoyance at the latest form she was trying to master. God, I'm so out of shape. I need to practice more or I'll be useless in a fight.

 A polite cough sounded from behind her and she jumped. Oh crap. If Dad finds out about this, I'll have to endure another lecture on etiquette and the blasphemy of women in combat. Not to mention, the inevitable increase in oppressive guardians.

She turned expecting any number of courtesans that would hurriedly scurry off to tell her father but instead stared straight into the very grey eyes of Commander Rusakov. Alex was struck immediately with the intensity of her focus. So that's what it's like when she actually pays attention.

The Commander's eyes sparkled with laughter as she leaned casually against a tree as if she owned the entire Garden.

Annoyance rose in Alex as she spoke, "How long have you been standing there?"

One eyebrow rose at her curt tone as she gave a short, swift bow, "I apologize for startling you, your Highness."

"That's not an answer."

"Awhile."

"Neither is that, really. What do you want?"

Alex watched as Kristen pushed off the tree and approached. She examined Alex's book left open nearby. "Combat magic? Isn't that a rather contradictory phrase?"

"How so, Commander?"

"Magicians are not so good at combat, your Highness."

Alex's eyes narrowed as she spoke, "Sorcerers, Commander. We're called sorcerers and combat magic is one of Talisdale's specialties."

"If that were true, perhaps I would not be here. Magic is much too slow, not reflexive enough for real fighting."

"Sorcerers may not be as bite-and-stab-everything-murder-happy as vampires, but that doesn't mean we're not strong fighters. We simply require a cunning and mental capacity that is clearly beyond what you are capable of. We can ascertain what are opponents are about to do through the disturbances in their aura and react quickly," Alex had unconsciously moved closer as she was speaking and she was further annoyed by having to look up as she glared. Wow, she has the whole tall, dark and dangerous thing down, alright. Not over muscular either, just toned in that super attractive way ... Wait no, go back to being angry. Yeah, angry is definitely safer.

"Are you saying that you can predict what I'm going to do next?"

Finally, Alex caught on to the amusement in Kristen's eyes. She's provoking me on purpose.

"Yes, of cour-" Alex's eyes widened as the Commander's aura rippled with aggression and for a moment she considered just how unprotected she truly was. She dropped into a combat stance, but Kristen had already disappeared. Alex let out an embarrassingly girlish yelp as her legs were swept out from under her and she fell straight into the Commander's arms, one hand pressed lightly on her throat. She stared, frozen in awe at the refined, elegant planes of Commander Rusakov's face before she registered the very amused look she was getting.

"Very impressive counter-move, your Highness," Kristen remarked dryly as she set Alex back on her feet.

Alex turned bright red and muttered, "Well I'm not exactly a master at combat magic," as both her pride and composure returned, she indignantly threatened, "And that was a very large breach in etiquette, Commander."

Kristen just chuckled and looked pointedly at her dirt stained outfit, "I won't tell if you don't, Highness." Is she flirting? ... Who cares, Alex? She just almost dumped you on your ass. Be more angry.

Eventually, Alex realized that she was just staring stupidly and returned to glaring. God, get a grip.

Kristen smirked in response and murmured her goodbyes before turning to continue through the gardens. Wait, what was she doing here anyway? Isn't she supposed to burst into flames on sacred ground or something? 

Thanks for reading! Any feedback appreciated!