17. Utgard

Utgard, the capital of Jotunheim, couldn't have been more different to Asgard. Nestled in the mountains, with narrow, easily-guarded passes to the north and the south-east the only overland routes in, those few who did find the way into the city, were bound to be disappointed by the few crude structures they would see sitting precariously atop the steep mountainsides. When Loki had gone to Laufey to discuss Odin's assassination, he had certainly found nothing to be impressed by. Utgard had looked like a half-abandoned village, not the capital of an entire civilisation.

On this occasion, however, Loki quickly discovered that the inhabitants of Utgard spent little time in the open air and all the artificial structures on the surface were mere approaches to frost giant dwellings inside and beneath the mountains. It was easier to hide in the caverns, both from the weather and the enemy. But the fact that he had been permitted to know this nagged at his thoughts as the guards led him through the main avenues of Utgard. Was this a peace offering from his birth father? Or was Laufey leading him straight to his death? Or was the old front giant merely reluctant to leave his house in wartime?

No answer was immediately forthcoming. At the end of the busy thoroughfare, the crowd, who hadn't been shy in their curiosity about Loki, dissipated. The guards halted before a pair of obsidian doors that were easily four times their height. Despite their size, the doors swung open without sound, revealing a vast, shadowed place beyond.

'Go on,' one of the guards said to Loki.

The Great Hall of Utgard – Loki guessed when he crossed the threshold. A few more steps forward, he recognised it. This was the place Laufey had been in when they had spoken through the Eye of Angrboda. Now that Loki stood there in person, the hall seemed even larger and colder. He couldn't see how this place could ever be used for grand events and celebrations as Asgard's Great Hall often was. It seemed like there weren't enough lights in Jotunheim to melt away the murk.

'Thor Odinson is not here,' Laufey spoke from the other side of the vast room. He hadn't spoken loudly, but his words echoed down the hall.

Loki nodded. The only sign Thor had ever been in this place were the heavy rings embedded into the walls, which had held Thor's chains. Loki made a concerted effort to keep his disappointment from showing as he crossed the length of the hall and offered Laufey a shallow bow.

When he straightened up he found himself staring right into Laufey's eyes. He inched away from the intensity of that gaze.

'No,' Laufey said. 'Come closer. I want to see you.'

Loki took two steps forward. That wasn't enough for the King of Jotunheim. Laufey rose from his seat and moved towards Loki. He circled Loki, then leaned in, his nose almost brushing against Loki's ear and sniffed him. With a huff, Laufey hooked his finger around the collar of Loki's shirt and pulled the material back, fully exposing the remnants of the sores on Loki's neck and throat.

'What happened here?' he asked.

'A dwarven collar to bind my magic. I haven't gotten around to healing it just yet.'

Laufey took a step back, his lips curled. 'A collar? Why not kill you?'

'I expect they feared Odin's wrath should he ever wake again,' Loki replied.

'He does have a vile temper,' Laufey replied. He laboriously retraced the steps back to his throne and peered down at Loki. 'Have you the Casket?'

'No.'

'Then why are you here? Did I not say —'

'You said,' Loki cut in, 'Asgard is to lay the Casket at your feet if Asgard is to get its king back. I don't give a damn about Thor. In the years I called him brother, he has been nothing but a source of embarrassment and frustration. He is not a man fit to be king. Even Odin saw that. Had he had a viable alternative, he wouldn't have passed the kingship to Thor.'