a c o u s t i c

h e l l o   t h e r e ,  t h e  a n g e l  f r o m  m y  n i g h t m a r e  

If Audrey could pick her soulmate, her true love, her happily ever--it would be Blink-182. 

If Audrey had to choose one band whose concert she'd attend, but would be required to camp outside the stadium arena for an entire week in the middle of December, in Alaska--it would be Blink-182. 

She appreciated that band more than she appreciated her triple-shot espresso straight from Starbucks that was a key part of her survival in college. What she didn't appreciate was listening to some jackass strumming a slow acoustic version of 'I Miss You' in the middle of the night during the week of midterms. 

Her pen was twitching and Audrey was rubbing at her eyes, forgetting the eyeliner she had applied early that day (or yesterday, she noted as she glanced at the clock on her Macbook) so that there were shadowy smudges coating the purple bags underneath her green eyes. 

I'm going to murder this asshole, Audrey thought viciously as the song continued. Of course, why did the person pick that damn song? Audrey had it filed underneath her playlist of 'sleep' since the song always managed to lull her into a dreamland, free of finals and college tuitions. 

She refused to let herself fall asleep. Professor Jenkins was threatening that this specific biology exam would be one of the hardest things they'd ever have to go through--harder than their imminent midlife crisis and Audrey swore she would be one of the top ten in the class. 

Audrey let out a soft groan before dropping her writing utensil and getting up. Her roommate was already fast asleep, hugging her purple pillow with a bit of drool dripping at the corner of her mouth. Audrey snagged her grey hoodie off the surface of her own bed and threw it over her shoulders as she entered the hallway of the dorm. 

She was slightly confused as to why no one else had gotten the person to shut up yet. It was nearing three in the morning and it wasn't as though the person was trying very hard to keep down the volume of their guitar. 

Audrey followed the noise until she reached the student lounge for her dorm house and that was when she discovered Parker Michaels sitting on the black leather couch, strumming a dark wood guitar with the tv on mute. 

Parker didn't seem to notice Audrey's arrival until she loudly cleared her throat. The junior boy looked up and his hand stopped mid-strum as he saw the girl standing there, looking as though she had crawled out of hell five minutes ago. 

"Hey," Parker greeted in a relaxed voice, the side of his lips turning upward in a crooked smile before he went back to playing his guitar. 

Audrey felt a flare of irritation sparking in her chest. Did Parker seriously not know what time it was? What time of the school year it was? How could someone stay up so late just playing an instrument when it was midterms?

Feeling quite frustrated, Audrey marched on over to where the boy sat and, out of nowhere, seized his guitar so that the music cut off once more. Parker was staring at her in astonishment as Audrey held the guitar out of his grasp. He didn't even make a move to stop her--he just gaped, his mouth wide open. 

"Hey?" Audrey repeated with a scoff. "Dude, it's almost three in the morning."
Parker quickly recovered and raised a dark brow in response to her statement. "And?"
Did he seriously just say that? "And people are trying to sleep."

Parker Michaels merely gave a simple shrug. "Great for them. Can I have my guitar back?"

Audrey gave quite the angry sigh as she ran her fingers through her nest of a bun placed on the crown of her head. Several mahogany wisps fell to frame her face as she set her most dangerous glare upon Parker Michaels, who, for the first time in his three years at the university, felt slightly intimidated.