Gathering ressources

Noct's p.o.v.

"Noctis, tomorrow we'll be parting up into teams of two." Ignis told me as we sat around the campfire Gladio ignited earlier. We were camping once again which I wasn't that fond of but at least the weather was nice so it was quite comfortable. "What? Why?" I asked with an irritated voice. We hardly ever part up, mostly because doing so is too dangerous out here.

"I need some new ingredients for our future meals because I've almost ran out of everything. I can hardly cook anymore, so I've decided that it would be best for us to part up. We should never be all alone out here so we'll be going with teams of two." He explained firmly while all of us were listening to him. After he finished talking, there was a short silence before I decided to raise my voice. "Alright. I trust your decision, Ignis. After all you know what you're talking about."

"Well spoken, Noct. You're slowly starting to act like a real prince!" Gladio exclaimed in a teasing tone which got me chuckling a little. "I think so too. We should trust Ignis." Prompto spoke with a slight grin on his face. 'How can that guy be so positive all the time?' I asked myself. I could never work up the energy to smile all the time. I never smile. Well, almost never. Sometimes even I do.

"Alright. So now that this is decided I'll part you into groups. Noct, you'll team up with Prompto. I'll go with Gladio. One team goes in the northern direction, the other one goes south. I personally don't mind who goes where so it's for you to decide." Ignis leaned forward while speaking and was probably waiting for an answer from me but I didn't have a clue about what to say so I just told him "We're going north." in a stern voice which had him nodding. "North it is, then. Alright. We should go to bed now as we have to start our mission early tomorrow."

"Yeah, let's go to bed then. Goodnight, Ladies." Gladio said as he made his way into the tent. We've gotten quite used to tease each other on a daily basis, so no one noticed things like that anymore. "Goodnight, buddies!" Prompto said before yawning loudly. Then he followed Gladio into the tent.

Now it was only me and Ignis left. I couldn't stop wondering why he paired me up with Prompto since we're the two youngest and most unexperienced members of the group. On rare occasions where we teamed up in smaller groups before, I had always been paired up with Gladio or Ignis but it's the first time I'll be going alone with Prompto. What has Ignis thinking that we'd make a good team? None of us has ever come up with a strategy on ourselves, nor are we used to leading a group.

"...-oct.....Noct....Noct!" I snapped out of my thoughts at hearing my name. "W-what??" I asked in confusion. Ignis sighed at my reaction and shook his head. "Are you okay? You're worried about something, right?" He asked me with a sincere expression which had me looking away. "No, it's alright. I'm just tired, that's all." I somehow couldn't bring up the courage and ask him about the meaning of the team formations, so I just lied to him.

"Then you should go to bed. It's already pretty late." Ignis looked at me with an unreadable expression. I had no idea if he believed me or not. "Yeah, I'll get going." I told him while lifting myself up from my seat. "Goodnight." I sighed and made my way into the tent, right into my sleeping bag. Even though my mind was restless my body was so exhausted that I fell asleep almost instantly.

(I hope you liked the first chapter! I'm currently re-playing the game and got so excited that I wanted to make a fanfic about it! So, yeah! Please let me know what you think! <3 )