19.

Breezeblocks - alt-J

The man spluttered but was pulling out his phone anyways. He flipped it open, an old phone, and started hitting the buttons with an unsteady finger. One and then another, and then—

Harry's hand grabbed the man's leg. The man looked down at him. "Oh, thank god he's still alive," he said, "no 'fense," he looked at me, "even if he did kidnap you... Murder's still murder."

Harry got up on his knees, still holding onto the man's leg. "Hey, get down," the man told him, "just 'cause you ain't dead don't mean I can't still make you dead." But that didn't stop Harry from getting up further. "Hold it," the man said, dropping his phone in favor of taking his gun in both hands to point it directly at Harry's head.

Harry looked up the barrel at the man on the other end of the gun. Rain poured down. "Intentional homicide will get you a minimum of twenty years in prison," Harry said. His voice was gravelly and dark. Steady.

But the man holding the gun was shaky. He held the gun at Harry's head, not backing down. Harry placed a hand on the gun, not breaking the eye contact. A cracking spark and bang. The gun had gone off, and Harry was still holding it, but he'd pushed it away from his face. The man blinked, mouth wide open, surprised at himself for pulling the trigger.

Harry yanked the gun, it slipped out of the man's hands. The man bent forward to grab at it, get it back, but Harry whipped it, hard across his face, sending the man reeling. The man fell forward into a bush. Harry got a foot underneath him, pushed off the ground to stand, unsteady, leaning. He took three steps to the side to right himself.

The man rolled over in the bush, grabbing his hat off his head as he looked up at Harry. Lightning struck the sky, turning everything a bright white for a split second. Thunder rolled over us in the next, and Harry studied the rifle in his hands, "This is quite a firearm," Harry said, almost casually. He pulled some levers and looked through the scope at the man cowering on the ground. "This gun holds three shots, is that right? Now we only have one left. That seems like a sign to me."

"You don't want to kill me," the man begged. "I've got a family, please."

Harry laughed. "I'm sure you're quite the family man, but you're right. I don't want to kill you." He lifted his eye from the scope, but kept the gun pointed. The man relaxed a bit. "Finley," Harry called, "I would like for you to get up... Please."

I had forgotten myself for a moment. Startled and frozen from sheer shock. I stood up, tentatively. What did he want? I hovered, then thought about running for it.

"Come over here," Harry said. I took a step away. Harry turned and aimed the gun at me. "Get over here," he demanded.

I paused. My eyes flashed to the man on the ground. He took his chance, the gun wasn't on him anymore, he scrambled, getting up—

The gun went off. The man screamed, falling back down, and Harry let the gun aim at the ground. He wavered a bit, stepping back, using the gun on the ground like a cane to balance. "Finley, please," he begged.

I don't know why. Make him happy. He stumbled my way. Anything he wants. I ran forward to catch him, holding him up, getting his arm over my head. "Are you alright?" I asked, stepping back as his weight was too much.

"You bitch," he said, hanging onto me. Pulling me down. I gripped at his jacket, my fingers slipping across the wet fabric.

His grip tightened around my shoulder. "I'm sorry," I cried, "Please Harry, please." He pulled me down as he fell, too weak to stand. But he managed to be halfway on top of me once we were on the ground. I laid back in the wet leaves, rain falling on my face, I tried to blink through them as I looked up at Harry's face. His hand was on my neck, but he was slow. I wasn't sure if he had tears on his face or if it was just from the rain.

"I wanted to make you happy," he whispered, "and you had to go and make a mess."

"Wait," I said as his hand tightened, warm against my skin. "Wait," I lifted my head up, trying to get my face close to his. "Harry," I choked out as his hand held me back. He was laying on one of my arms, but my other one was free. I lifted it to the back of his head, taking hold of hair. Pull his head down and ram his nose into your forehead. I pulled on his hair, getting his face closer. I gasped, losing all my breath as I found his lips with mine.

His grip loosened. I let my head fall as I gasped for air. He stared down at me, no emotion on his face, his green eyes dark in shadows. I breathed heavy and stared back, my hand had fallen to his shoulder. I gulped, and he still didn't say or do anything. He just watched me, startled like he couldn't understand what I just did. I licked my lips, and lifted my head up again, just in case, I kissed him a second time. His lips followed mine, followed the movements and pulls. Fitting perfectly together. Soft and afraid. He kept his eyes open, and I held the stare, wondering if this was what he wanted.

What did he want? I pulled back just slightly, keeping my face right there in front of his, lingering...touching skin. "I am happy," I whispered, "you make me happy."