Chapter 3

Feeling exhausted, I slumped on the grass in the shade. Fourth period was P.E and Mr. Johnson had made us run the mile yet AGAIN. We've been running the mile every time for P.E. to get us "In shape for the cross country team" so says Mr. Johnson.

Mr. Johnson was the fastest guy back in his high school, and had set multiple records for the cross country team. Since then, he's gotten fatter, rounder and everything opposite of athletic.

If you took one good look at him, you wouldn't be able to tell that he was a runner at all. So for his lack of exercise, he punishes us.

Sure it wasn't a sweat for me, since I warped time to seem like I ran it in four minutes, although running through imaginary mud is challenging, I've gotten stronger at resisting the "time mud". But warping took some of my energy. Heading towards the drinking fountain, I took a long intake of water, drinking it in thirstily to regain my energy.

I was always the first guy done with the mile, so I had the rest of the period to cool down, since most of the guys in my class were really slow and out of shape.

Suddenly, I heard someone panting roughly behind me.

"Oh, sorr-" I cut off, seeing Shaun Connors behind me. His brow was wet with sweat, and he reeked with an unpleasant odor. His face was bright red and I narrowed my eyes. He had both hands on both knees, bent over in exhaustion.

"W-w-water," he panted.

I moved aside and let him get a drink. I knew that he wouldn't bully me but I still felt like he would pounce at me at any moment. Shaun was the fastest runner, but because of my power, he ranked number two because of me.

During the Battle of the Clubs in elementary school, where all of the school clubs competed against each other in different events, Shaun challenged me to a race to prove he was faster.

Obviously, I didn't want to get humiliated in front of the whole school, but I didn't want to humiliate Shaun in front of the whole school either. I decided to avoid the embarrassment, so Shaun was the laughing stock of the whole school for the rest of the week. That was when our big rivalry began. Ever since then, Shaun thought that that one day was a great excuse to bully me forever.

He gulped in the water as if he had been running through the Sahara Desert. After he was done, he grunted in satisfaction and purposefully bumped my shoulder against mine rudely.

"Ouch," I grunted, scowling at him to show that he had hurt me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't see you there," He smirked at me and I rolled my eyes.

Suddenly, a hand rested on my shoulder. I turned my head and saw a boy named Earl standing behind me.

Earl Carlson was the smartest kid in the school and was like me; a kid who got bullied. He was shorter than me and wore thick large rimmed glasses that basically drowned out his whole face. He had thin black hair that was parted neatly down the middle and gelled flat. He always dressed nicely; in buttoned down collared shirts tucked into tan colored pants. From what I heard from the gossip around school, he was a cute nerd, but another target for the bullies.

"Don't bother with him," he said. His voice was too low for him and he sounded like an eight year old that had hit puberty early.

Shaun's eyes lit up. "Hey Early Carlyson," he mocked, sneering.

"Shaun," Earl muttered curtly.

Shaun laughed all of a sudden. "Hey want to know when you add a 'G' to Earl?" he paused taking time to let it sink in. "Girl!" he yelled, laughing again. "Girly Carlyson!" he taunted, pretending to be an over dramatic girl, checking his nails and playing with his hair.