Chapter 14

Callie’s face went hot; reddened uncontrollably. Chills coursed over the rest of her body. The realization that she actually wanted this man scared her, sent her into a panic. Want had never been a part of Callie’s life before. Not when it came to men. Need had; but again, not the physical type of need between a man and a woman.

Callie’s experience with men had been limited to the love for a father, and the hatred for an abuser, with a few minor teenage crushes mixed in between. And Need had simply been restricted to the fact that a woman without a man by her side could do very little in today’s world. Until that man kicked the bucket; then his widow was left with freedom of societal movement, and no longer any Need for a man.

Until a man such as Sonny McQuade sauntered into her life, with his quiet strength and secret vulnerabilities, sending her emotions into an uproar and tearing her neat little life to shreds. Forcing Callie to face her fears and her desires, and compelling her to make a decision.

 Like today; at this very moment.

The man who tempted Callie to come out of her safe cocoon sat impassively before her, reins slack in his hands, hat pulled low over his eyes, shoulders rigid, and no smile upon his lips. He was definitely not receptive to her first words.

Shifting upon her seat, raising her chin fractionally, Callie stared where she thought Sonny’s eyes would be if not for that blasted Stetson, and said bluntly, “I need to speak with you, Mr. McQuade. Now.”

There. She’d left him only two choices: yes, or no.

At last Sonny pushed his hat up off his eyes, spearing her with his blue, blue gaze, where warmth seemed to have fled. That dead stare seemed to go on forever, until, after licking his lips, he finally spoke.

“Sometimes actions speak louder than words. Beggin’ your pardon, Ma’am.”

Aarrgh! Callie screamed in her head. Of course he would be recalcitrant. He wasn’t going to make this easy on her! But, upon quick reflection, the widow had to admit she’d treated him pretty awful when he’d bared his soul, his past, and now he would naturally attempt to save face. She just had to insist he hear her out.

Moving quickly, before she lost her nerve, Callie wrapped the reins around the brake handle, and then clumsily jumped down off her seat. Striding around his horse, dress billowing about her legs, Callie moved to stand below the gunfighter’s seat, staring up at him challengingly.

“Does this action speak loud enough for you, Mr. McQuade? Or do I get down on my knees for forgiveness?” Callie suited actions to words by lifting her skirt in preparation of kneeling in the dirt road, but the gunfighter’s terse, “Stop that!” made her pause and look up.

At last a reaction.

He was already tying off his own horse and vaulting down from his seat effortlessly to stand before her, arms stiffly at his sides, equal parts irritation and embarrassment riding his features for the first time.

“Don’t ever bow down before me, Madam!”

Callie blinked, staring up into his face in shock at his vehement tone. Sonny McQuade never barked orders. He always seemed to weigh his words and how they might affect the person to whom he spoke. Yet just this moment he had snapped at Callie. In admonishment. She froze, in uneasy disbelief. Her husband had usually followed up his shouts with some well-placed punches. Not that she expected the gunfighter to do so, but, how well did she really know the man?

He seemed to sense her unease, for he released a heavy sigh, continuing in the moderate tone she was used to hearing from him, “I’m not even worthy of being in your company, Miz West, so don’t make the mistake of kneeling at my feet. I am no savior.”