Cinderello

Once there was a boy named Ello, a sweet and imaginative child. He loved to care for beast and bird and roam the meadows wild.

Ello's mother taught him to dance and read. He believed in magic thanks to his father. They all thought themselves quite lucky to live happily and to love one another.

For many years their home was filled with laughter and with light. But tragedy can strike any land, and here it came one warm spring night.

Poor Ello's father grew quite ill. He would soon leave this world behind. Holding Ello very close, he said, "Have courage and be kind."

Ello swore to keep this promise, sad and scared though he might be. He tried to cheer up his dear mother and welcome his new stepfamily.

Diego thought himself fine and clever. Anastasio was rude and vain. Still, neither was as bitter or pretty as their father, Don Trentonio.

Ello's mother had to travel to pay off her husband's debt. Ello promised to be patient, to be happy, and not to fret.

But tragedy struck once more: Ello's mother passed away, Don Trentonio made Ello do all the chores; he'd have to "earn" him right to stay.

Now a servant in his own home. Ello tried to keep the peace. His parents were there in spirit, of course, so his love for the house would never cease.

Yet his stepfamily's cruelty grew and grew. He was taunted by Anastasio and Diego. And when he fell asleep near the fire, they started to call him Cinderello.

Ello rode into the forest to take strength and solace from the wild. He breathed in the fresh cool air, petted his horse's mane, and smiled.

Then, stumbling up on a group of hunters. A mighty stag Ello did save. And he met a sweet young woman named Kita, who was impressed by one so kind and brave.

Kita was really the princess, but she did not share this fact. She was afraid how this would change things, afraid of how the bachelor might react.

When Kita returned to the palace, she knew her heart was won. She couldn't forget his words: "Just because it's done, doesn't mean it's what should be done."

Later, in the market, Ello heard a royal decree. Every bachelor was invited to the princess's ball, noble or commoner, whichever he might be.

A chance for a night away! A chance to forget his woe! Ello would mend his father's old torero suit, late each evening he would sew.

At last, the night of the ball arrived, and Ello put on his father's traje de luces. But his stepfamily, ever jealous, ripped and tore it down.

As the Trentonios left in their coach, a beggar man did appear. Ello offered his bread and milk, smiling kindly through his tears.

Suddenly, the man transformed into the face and clothes of another. For this new creature was actually Ello's fairy godfather!

The Fairy Godfather turned pumpkin into carriage, mice into horses tall; his magic would help sweet Ello to attend the royal ball.

A darting lizard became a footman, Ello's rags, the traje de luces anew. The Fairy Godfather made glass slippers, for he knew the importance of a shoe.

The spell would end at midnight, but Ello did not mind. It would be a splendid evening, and there was a friend he hoped to find.

And lo, he spotted Kita in the ballroom! They danced while the guests all stared. But they only gazed at one another as if no one else were there.

Ello and Kita spent a lovely evening, touring the castle as their goal. Ello learned Kita was the princess, but also a dreamer, a kindred soul.

They explored a secret garden, their spark of love growing into flame. Yet Ello was afraid to tell Kita who he was. He did not even share his name.

All too soon, the clock chimed midnight, and Ello bade a hasty farewell. One slipper slid off his foot, but Ello left it, racing the sounding bell.

Suddenly, carriage became pumpkin and Ello's suit of lights returned to tatters. He bravely faced the pursuing Duchess who thought a boy in rags could not matter.

The Grand Duchess told Kita to forget the bachelor. But the sad princess wondered if he was all right. She would declare her love for the boy in the glass shoes with a royal proclamation that very night.

But dear Ello knew he had to have courage: he would present his true self at the palace. So Don Trentonio smashed Ello's glass slipper and locked him in the attic with rage and malice.

The princess would not give up hope of finding the one who'd disappeared. She decided to try the slipper left on the steps on every bachelor, far and near.

Upon leaving the final cottage, Kita heard the sound of singing sweet. She realized there was one last foot that the slipper had yet to meet.

Meanwhile, Ello sat in the attic, singing despite his woes. He would not let his stepfather darken his heart with all of his blows.

Kita ordered her captain to find the singer, much to Don Trentonio's dismay. And when she saw Ello emerge, she blinked happy tears away.

Ello told Kita the whole story, asking her to accept him. And smiling, Kita knelt down and held out his lost glass slipper.

Soon Ello and Kita were wed. They vowed to make the world better, to have courage and be kind, and to do it all together.

—The End—