Interlude

A once grand place sits upon the mountainside, it's walls and high roofs covered in a layer of snow. The world around it, covered in a pristine layer of white, could pass for an untouched piece of nature. However, signs still linger of battles fought. Broken trees, massive trenches in the frozen soil, even the mountain itself seemed to have had large chunks forcibly removed.

The most telling sign of a previous war were the graves. Not dug, not marked. The skeletons of powerful demons lay here and there, covered in mourning white. The scene is beyond beautiful, but even the very energy of the land holds a deep sorrow. Behind the walls, smaller skeletons, more human shaped, dot the streets leading to castle.

The castle itself, and the area behind it, are pristinely intact. As if the battles and war never reached it's feet, as if such violence never came to its doors. It is, however, silent. Not a single living breath is drawn within it's halls and rooms, abandoned but not decayed. On the steps behind it lays another skeleton. This one quite large, and like those upon the mountainside and area below the mountain, canine. Armor keeps the bones in place, the scene of a last guardian dying at his post.

At the top of the staircase, miles above at the peak of the mountain, another body. As if having died in sleep, it's arms rest upon the pedestal of a great statue, head down as if weeping. A single sword, held in a beautiful crimson sheath that lays stark amidst the white snow, lays at the feet of the statue as if in offering. The body is just as gone as the rest, completely bones, though still dressed. As the wind blows, in one rushing gust, they crack and splinter. Dust is soon all that remains, in a heap of clothing that will soon too decay.

Only the scene below and sword laid to rest are the heralds of what came to be at the castle of Great Dog General.

And only two souls still hold vigil, even in death.