The Word Goodbye

We all have that one person in our lives what we can rely on, lean on, and trust wholeheartedly. For me, that one person is my friend Anna. I've trusted her since we were both in kindergarten. Never wanted to leave her, never thought I would have to. I dreaded the day my parents would yell me we were moving, but I knew it was coming. Then, when that day came, it was a glorious, nightmare.

I learned in July that I was going to be moving to South Carolina; I didn't believe it until I was finally done packing, and me and Anna hung out for the very last time. It was August 13th and we were moving in just three more days. We spent the day walking around town, talking to each other about things we haven't dared to tell anyone. It was about 7 o'clock at night when we finally got back to my house. That's when the moment I had forever dreaded came, when I had to say goodbye.

We pulled into the, already soaked, driveway leading up to the-red and white, two story, brick-house being occupied by the Wallace's at the time. I said goodbye, while unbuckling and removing myself from the car, and gathering my things hurriedly. I head for the door, when suddenly; I hear a voice from behind calling my name. "Melissa! Melissa wait!" it called. I turn around and Anna is running towards me, and before I have time to say anything, I'm being thrown backwards with Anna latched onto me. We both knew that my simple goodbye was not going to be all. But my brain couldn't process anything. I could barely understand that I was moving. Let alone understand that it really was goodbye.

We stand there hugging for just another moment and tell each other we'll see each other again soon. We then started to just talk and say how much we have both loved being friends. As we talk for a moment, I finally realize that I AM leaving her, that the day to say goodbye has come.

As I think to myself, Anna continues to speak, trying to to cry. Her voice floods the air. Her blondish, brown hair sits upon her shoulders. The bright green trees behind her help decorate the magnificent painting. The rain falling down on us as we speak adds the emotion in the moment, the constant dripping on my body. The rain pouring down, leaving a smooth, moist trail as the rain drags down from my shoulders to the ground. The smell of sorrow fills the air, along with fresh cut grass. A taste of salt and tears flood my tongue.

When I come back to earth, Anna is just finishing up by saying, "I just don't know what it's going to be like without you here to help me, Mel." We stand there staring at each other for a moment.

I then respond by saying, "Anna, I'll always be there for you, to help you. Now I've got to go but I promise you; I'll be back." We then hug and I head inside. When I turn around to close the door, I see Anna burst into tears. I watch momentarily as her face becomes overflowed with devastation. I then close the door and put my stuff inside. Smelling the warm fire inside, I can hear it crackling from upstairs. The heat begins to comfort me, but only for a second.

I can't hold back any longer. I feel as though a wild, beastly, aching pain is being mock and coming to its full, fiery life. I run outside to sooth the pain and say a true, goodbye. I find Anna still frozen in the yard. Yet she seemed to have moved a little because it looks as if she's hiding something behind her back. I run to her, leaving the door wide open. I tell her I couldn't just leave like that, and that I'm so sorry. She say's nothing in return, only reveals a green gift bag. I fail at trying not to cry. She hands me the present and I rip it open, inside consists of: $20, a 'BFF' necklace, a monkey shirt, and a tile she must have made me. I hug her and thank her. We continue talking for a while longer. I feel zoned in on us. Then I suddenly hear little voices behind us, near the front door. I turn around and see our mothers talking to each other.

The rain still pouring, the trees still shining, the yard still drenched in tears; it was a glorious day. And yet it was such a devastating day. It was the day I truly learned what the word 'goodbye' means.