Chapter 3

I sat there watched the sun set across the sea, slowly dipping into the sea. I scanned the beach for people but found no one but a seagull sitting far away on the grey rocks. The wind blew slowly bringing my hair forward against my pale skin, my emerald eyes glance at the shore for boats; I let all the colours sink into my eyes slowly lifting my hands to pull back my hair.

 I got up and brushed the sand off of me and started walking toward the water. I sunk my legs down slowly into the water feeling the dark green liquid tingle on the back of my leg. Gradually I got deeper so that my waist was on the water length. I bent my head down and pierced it through the liquid, held my breath and examined the world underneath me.

The orange coral reefs stuck at the bottom, silver scaled fishes swimming in and out. Different creatures swam and crawled all around it, scattered everywhere. It was like a whole different world, full of silence.

I stood there a bit longer taking in the silenced world and then pulled my head back up to get some air. I gasped for breath, it was too mesmerizing and I didn’t want to come out from there.

I slowly crept out from the water and walked towards the road, I sat on the edge between the sand and the concrete, filling myself with differences.

I gazed at the lights, the huge glass buildings, people walking in organised clothing and the cars rushing by. Life seemed to be really busy and full of everything, all we needed was there and everything we didn’t need was there as well. There was noise, laughter, people talking and children crying.

*****

She woke up from her daze and collected herself from the pieces she had been travelling through. She it had been tough on her not being able to see what everyone else could, this what she wanted to be able see what she sees in her dreams in reality, if only there was a chance that she could get her eyes back.

Her being blind was a secret she hid from everyone except for the people around her because they were there when it happened. She repeated the situation all over again in her head and water intruded her eyes but she never let them fall, she was over it and had to forget about it.

She stood up from her warm bed and walked over to the kitchen. There was nothing in her way because her family had it all cleared out for her so that she wouldn’t trip on anything while she walked. She had gotten used to the space around her and was aware of all her surroundings.

She picked up a mug and sat it on the worktop as she turned on the kettle for the water to boil. She stood there leaning against the worktop and listening to the birds singing their sweet song. The kettle clicked and smoke arose from the spout, she grabbed the kettle carefully and poured some water into her mug after she had put the tea bag in.

She walked into her front room which contained two arm chairs and a table and a television. Even though she couldn’t see she loved to listen to the shows because that’s how she kept her self-busy.She trudged over to the arm chair that had a tea table in front of it she sat her mug on the table and felt for the remote, she found it in the middle of the table. She turned the small box on; her parents bought it for her she didn’t want huge plasma obviously so she asked for those old boxed television. She asked them for a radio first but they didn’t agree with that and said people would find it weird that you keep a radio in your house instead of TV.

  She started listening to her favourite new show, The Voice. She listened intently while a girl sang the song No Bodys Perfect. She hummed the song slightly louder than humming but it was only her at home, no one lived with her after all she moved out from her parents’ home because she didn’t want to be a burden on them. They always payed to much attention to her which she didn’t like that much she liked to be left alone and be left in her own world. Her best friend, Sara was coming around tonight for a sleepover. They did this often because Sara had problems with her Dad as her Mom wasn’t alive anymore  and she didn’t have anything to do than come over to Alicia’s house.

Alicia turned the TV off and decided to head of the shops to get something for the sleepover after all Sara was a hungry girl. She grabbed her leather jacket and put on her converses and headed off to the groceries.

She walked down the pebbled road; the wind was strong and brushed her hair away from her face. She walked slowly so that she doesn’t bump into anyone, she knew her way around after all she had been living here half of her life. Suddenly her face connected with something hard, it was hard but soft at the same time. The lifted her hand toward whatever it was and felt someone’s chest, a manly chest. She knew she shouldn’t act strange so she backed off and calmly and showed no emotion she tilted her head upward so that her face probably should be in line with whoever it was and said “ I’m sorry..”

“HEY … your Alicia right? I remember I saw you yesterday.”

She looked down quickly, not him again she thought why he was so into her, man!

“Yeah your Ryan right? I remember I saw you yesterday.” She said with sarcasm. He giggled at her.

  “Where you off to?” he asked her wriggling his eyebrows.

“Just the groceries, okay bye I need to go,” she left before he said anything else, fed up of him questioning her all the time.