Death By Scrabble: The Wife's Viewpoint

This is a short story that I had to do for AP English. This is a Fan Fiction. Fan. Fiction. None of these characters are mine. All of the character rights and most of the storyline is the property of Charlie Fish. Check him out! Although, the wife's perspective is mine, and I do not appreciate plagiarism.

Thank You for taking the time to read my story!!!! 😉 Any and all feedback is apreciated!

06-23-23: Y'all, it's been almost a decade since I wrote this for a middle school class project. The fact that more than three thousand people have seen this piece is a little embarrassing, but I'm going to leave it up for memories' sake.
*************************************************************

Edited on April 15th, 2016 a.d.

***************************************************

It's a perfect summer day and my husband has crossed me for the last time.

We're sitting in the living room playing scrabble. I don't mind, but by the look on my husband's face, he does. He's always complaining about something.

My husband, fittingly, plays BEGIN with the N on the pink starting star. 22 points.

I have good letters, and let out a smug expression. I know it will get to him.

It always does.

In twenty long, stressful years of unrewarded matrimony, I have realized every little thing that I do gets on his nerves. I've given up on getting on his good side.

Clack.

Clack.

Clack goes the tile in my hand. Now, I just tick him off for fun. It's not like he'll do anything about it.

I play JINXED. The J is on the double-letter score. 30 points to me.

My husband and I usually play scrabble every Sunday at three, although this time, we are using a different board than the one we usually play on. See, the lady who sold me the board at a yard sale outside of a run-down shack on 9th street said that playing certain words would activate the board's "special qualities". Right. I bought the board, but didn't buy the story. Now, when my husband slighted me for the last time, I switched out the boards.

Why not try it? This scrabble board may be the key to my salvation.

JINXED was one of the activation words. Now to see if it worked.

Plus, I'm winning.

My spouse starts chewing on one of his tiles. It's sickening, I know. Every tile in the bag will be chewed beyond recognition by the end of the year. They're frayed around the edges already.

He plays WARMER for 22 points and continues to chew on the tile in his mouth. Would it kill him to buy some gum?

It begins to grow warmer in the room. I wish he would open a window, but he always retorts, "Why breathe dirty, outside air when we can be totally comfortable, and healthy, inside with air conditioning. Leave the thinking to me, honey."

Dolt. He knows I hate that nickname.

I'm still brooding over his chauvinism when I spot a good word. I play SWEATIER for a total of 74 points. My husband glares, then grunts like the pig he is.

As soon as he realised that he was no longer in the lead, my spouse's face began to turn red in blotchy patches. He doesn't look well at all. If he didn't have explosive bowel movements after every meal, I would say his face was ruddy from anger, not indigestion.

He finally stops chewing on his tile and plays HUMID for another 22 points. The U has a little spit bubble on the top right corner of it.

He is revolting.