Chapter Four: Begining Friendships

Jessica really didn't want to tell Cara about what had happened, but she had to give a reason while she was canceling their plans to go on a weekend drive...

"See! I told you that dog of yours would be trouble! Now you'll lose who knows how many weeks of the one time you get to enjoy yourself!" She exclaimed, obviously not happy about the whole thing.

Jessica kept silent, she knew that is wasn't entirely Daisy's fault, and it wasn't like she was going to jail for the whole thing. Cara just couldn't understand competely, she wanted Jessica to go full throttle, while she was just as happy to cruise along.

She thought the nagging was done when she got off work, but again she wasn't that lucky, Mrs. Ratchet was waiting for her by the gate. It seemed Daisy had the good sense to lay quietly and not make a fuss as Jessica approached.

"Ms Terrence! What is the meaning of this? When were you going to inform me you owned a pet?" Her shrill voice asked, casting a disgusted look at the dog on the other side of the gate.

Jessica sighed softly, stopping about a foot away from the older woman.

"I was meaning to tell you tonight Mrs. Ratchet." She said, well actually she was planning on sending a letter. But never mind that now.

The woman eyed her disbelivingly.

"Of course you were. Well, considering this animal will be residing in one of my rooms, I will write up a new lease, with the new rent amount tomorrow." She stated, her expression almost expecting Jessica to challenge her. When the girl remained silent the woman gave an injured sniff and turned back towards the front of the building.

Jessica waited until the woman was out of sight, then opened the gate, and dropped down next to her dog. The dog was in a lazy mood, so she merely moved her head into her owner's lap.

"I bet she didn't even know for sure you were my dog. She guessed." Jessica commented, rubbing the dogs soft ears with her fingers.

The next Saturday came, and Jessica made the trek back to Mrs. Rice's garden. Today she found the back gate wide open, and the woman herself  was puttering around a small shed.

Before Jessica could offer a greeting, the woman caught sight of her.

"Hello Jessica, I figured you would be starting today!" She called cheerily, walking over to meet Jessica halfway.

"Good morning Mrs. Rice." Jessica replied, pleasently surprised at such a friendly greeting. The woman petted Daisy for a moment before speaking again.

"I believe you'll find all the things you need in the shed, I checked earlier and everything seems to be here." She mentioned, moving to go back towards the porch. Jessica shut the gate, and unhooked Daisy from her leash. Upon finding freedom the dog trotted over to the proch like she owned it and promptly plopped down.

"Oh you're a big help." Jessica murmured, a smile playing on her lips.

About an hour or so later Mrs. Rice disappeared into the house, she returned a little bit later with a tray, on top of it was a pitcher of lemonade and two glasses.

"I thought you might like a little break Jessica." She called, the girl looked up from where she was kneeling in one of the flower beds. She peeled off the garden gloves, and walked over. Mrs. Rice held out a glass, and motioned for her to sit down next to her on the stair.

"I must say you're a quiet one. The little ones that come around during Halloween say more than you have." She commented, her tone not unkind, but almost curious.

Jessica blushed and looked down at her feet, she wasn't really sure what to say to that. She knew Cara often told her she was too quiet. But then again Cara often told her things like that.

"I'm just usual by myself most of the time." Sh finally said, slowly bringing her head back up to look at the older woman. Ms. Rice's forhead creased slightly, apparently this girl was a loner, there was a seriouness in her eyes that she didn't like.

"So, where are you from Jessica?" She asked finally, determined to learn what she could. For a moment there was almost a look of pain on Jessica's face, she quickly masked it before answering.

"I'm originally from Maine. I was born there." She replied, her gaze traveling across the garden, as she thought back to her early life.

"Oh, and why did you decide to move here?" Mrs. Rice asked, this time Jessica looked back at her, her eyes searching deep into the older woman's for understanding.

"My father was killed in a boating accident when I was seven. My mother moved myself, and the twins here so we could live with here... Mom was never really strong, she died about a year after Dad..." She explained her voice going soft as she remembered her parents, Mrs. Rice put a hand on the girls shoulder for a moment.

This seemed to startle Jessica, as she jumped up and moved back towards the flower bed.

"I should finish my work." She mumbled, Mrs. Rice watched her for a moment, no doubt this girl had many scars from life, and had still managed to make out her own happiness.

She decided something as she stood back up with the tray, she would learn more about this curious girl. She had lived her life with curious and amazing people, and somehow she knew this young woman was one of them...