Back to Eden

“And it goes like this: the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift – the baffled king composing Hallelujah.”

It was that rainy night at the end of May. Save for the music that served as background to Shrek’s grief and Princess Fiona’s indecision on the TV, the room was unusually quiet as they sat fastened to each other’s side, watching a kid’s movie to ease some tension. One of Daniel’s arms was draped around Kath’s shoulders – classic, old-school – and her right knee touched his, conscious of its rightful place. But both did not seem engrossed in the movie. Their thoughts were elsewhere, perhaps in some Wonderland or secret garden they yearned to visit.

A few minutes passed and Shrek was on his way to the castle. Kath sensed her boyfriend’s forefinger making small circular motions on her left shoulder. If it was done absentmindedly, she didn’t know. She knew what she felt, though.

“Hey.” He broke the silence first and looked at her sideways. She glanced back. His eyes were bonfire and oceans combined, blazing and deep. They unsettled her. She quickly returned her gaze to Shrek’s face. At the corner of her eyes, she saw him smirk, amused at her reaction.

“Hey,” he repeated.

“Hmmm?” This time, she didn’t glance back. She simply looked straight at Donkey, trying to ignore the sound of his voice and the frantic butterflies inside her. But wasn’t she the one who made the first move two hours ago?

He didn’t answer. Instead, he ran his thumb along her arms and buried his nose on her hair, inhaling her, taking in the scent of a spring day. Princess Fiona and Shrek reunite on the screen, so she grabbed the remote control and used it as an excuse to increase the volume and muffle her thoughts. But he moved fast. He snatched it from her hand and pressed pause, flinging it to the next couch before facing her, brushing his nose on her neck, planting it with gentle kisses while his fingers dug into her hips.

She shoved him off her. Then, she stood up and faced him. Disappointment was evident on his face. But instead of what he expected, she offered him her hand, levelling it with his face.

“Come,” she said softly. “Sa taas tayo.”

She must have gone insane. Her knees felt wobbly as she led him to her room, stepping lightly, careful not to make noises that could wake the whole house up. He was silent behind her and she half-wished he would joke around, but he didn’t. And as soon as they entered the room, he locked the door and made her face him, trapping her using his arms.

“Tell me when to stop,” his husky voice cautioned, almost inaudibly, and as he pinned her against the wall and let his eyes linger on her lips before locking eyes with her, she wondered whether she’d be able to.

But she gave the slightest of nods as an answer, and soon Daniel’s mouth was all on hers, gentle at first -- soft, slow, needy -- then it went ravenous -- parting her lips, his tongue probing –- and she returned his kisses with equal fervor, soundlessly screaming how much she wanted him. The clock ticked and ticked, warning them, but they paid no mind. On and on they went, and she thought she caught a glimpse of heaven as he kissed the hell out of her.