Starman

"We could slow dance to rock music, kiss while we do it, talk 'til we both turn blue..."

***

"Ang awkward ng slow dance natin, no? Maybe we should ask the people to close their eyes next time we do it," he heard Kathryn comment, the amusement in her voice clear and the fingers combing his hair gentle. They sat beside each other, like they always do, inside the van on their way home after a very long day. It was well after midnight when the series of parties organized by fans for his 21st birthday ended, and Daniel was terribly tired -- tired enough to make him take off his protector cape, rest his head on her shoulder, and let Bali baby the hell out of him. But he was tired in a good way and he was really happy, like god-I-have-the-best-fans happy, and so when Kathryn spoke, his lips automatically formed a smile.

"Awkward nga. Daming camera, eh," Daniel answered, his eyes shut and resting. "Kinilig ako," he added after a beat just because he couldn't help it. The hand that was busy stroking his hair stilled for a second upon hearing his words. Then, she placed that same hand on his chin, lightly cupping it. 

"I know," Kathryn said. "Ako rin. I love slow dancing with you."

He didn't have to open his eyes to know she was smiling, too.

***

They got home at around 1:30 in the morning. To Kathryn, home was dim lighting in her bedroom. To Daniel, home was him hugging her. So right after he called his mother to say he'd stay the night at Kathryn's place, he tossed his phone on the bed and pulled his girlfriend into his arms.

"O, tired ka na diba?" Kath slightly protested but buried her head in his chest despite herself.

He simply shook his head. They stayed that way a few seconds longer before Daniel grabbed both Kathryn's hands to place them on his shoulders and put his own hands on her waist.

"Wait. What 's happening?" she slowly asked, punctuating every word of her question.

"Wala nang ibang tao, oh. Sayaw tayo."

Well, fuck being cheesy. He just invited her to dance. 

And so they did. 

In the soft light of her bedroom, they held each other, with just the littlest space between them, casting shadows on each other's body, swaying on the floor on the same spot as Daniel hummed a love song that he first heard when he was fourteen. Kathryn looked sleepy and he's sure he looked the same, but they both tried to stay awake just to savor a moment that was perfect and private and theirs.

After a while, Daniel stopped humming and spoke. "Tinanong nanaman nila 'ko kung ano daw status natin."

She rolled her eyes at that. "Anong sabi mo?"

"Wala. Wait for the right time. Mga ganun-ganon."

"Ugh. They just can't let it rest, no?"

He didn't have any answer to that. So he just pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her and let his nose slide from her head to the crook of her neck. He breathed her in.

"Pag ako nainis, sasabihin ko may design na yung dream house natin," he half-murmured, not even sure if he was really joking.

"Tell them I'm about to marry you," Kath suggested, just teasingly, but his damn heart skipped a beat like a twelve-year old boy talking to his crush at the school canteen. It felt amazing.

He kissed her lips before saying, "Sasabihin ko kasal na tayo tapos nag-honeymoon tayo sa Balesin."

"That's not true," she said, laughing, but there was a strange smile on her face.

It made Daniel bold. Hopeful. Maybe crazy, too. "Edi totohanin natin."

***

A few minutes later, they lie side by side in bed, heart rate faster than normal, arms and hips not quite touching. Their hair was a mess but they were fully clothed, too sleepy to actually go beyond making out. At one point, the outline of Kathryn's twisted bra strap caught Daniel's eye and she was unaware of it; it was a thing that sparked his male possessiveness, so he did not even try to point it out. He loved that little detail.

They lie there without talking, facing her glow-in-the-dark ceiling – a canopy of stars. It was her version of the universe and she shared it with him. He somehow knew it was a big deal. He felt blessed. He felt like floating. He felt like a David Bowie song in her universe. He felt ready to do just about anything. So in the silence, he asked. "Marry me?"

"Sure," she replied calmly, still looking at the stars.

He turned away from the ceiling and faced her. His next question almost came out like a whisper, his tone serious and vulnerable. "Tomorrow?" She turned away from the ceiling and faced him. She looked ready to do just about anything.

***

On the day of the press conference for his fourth major concert, Daniel sat in front of reporters and his ever-loyal fans. He wore his usual ripped jeans, black shirt, and two rings on his finger. He looked like his normal self – happy and genuine but still enigmatic.

He answered questions, making people laugh every now and then. It was just their typical Daniel Padilla interview. Most of them seemed to love every minute of it. But then, of course, a newspaper columnist, the same one who liked to spin the truth and make it seem like his affection for Kathryn only happened overnight, stood up to ask him a question. He already knew what it would be. It's the media's favorite question, anyway.

"Ito ha, DJ. Kasi we all know kayo na lang ang hindi pa "real" e. And for us kasi, sa media, very refreshing na umaamin na ang mga magkaka-loveteam. Unlike others, diba?" The columnist laughed, all fake-friendly and irritating. "So ano ba? Kayo na ba? Or hanggang reel lang talaga kayo?"

Daniel could have rolled his eyes but he chose not to. It wasn't worth it. So he just smiled and said, "Actually, more than four years na nga kami bago pa kami magpakasal, eh." All the members of the press laughed, not even believing. 

Oh, he's so good at his jokes.

***

When he came home that night, he went straight to bed, opened his phone's Instagram app, and posted a photo. He didn't have to do it, but he wanted to. Maybe because he just wanted to fuck everyone up. Or maybe because it was the right time. He didn't know. All he knew was that it felt just right.

The photo was candid and in black and white but even without color it looked surreal. Kathryn was wearing a white dress and he was wearing tux and he was laughing at her joke and she was looking at him like he was magic and the faces of their families captured in that photo looked like they witnessed something they knew was bound to happen. It was their wedding dance in a not official but very, very special wedding, and it was happiness caught in one frame. And like most of his Instagram posts, below the black and white photo is a caption with just one word:

Totoo. 

***

Note: I just want to remind some readers that The Littlest Things is a collection of fictional stories about Kath and Daniel. Wala siyang flow or overall na plot. Also, I've read all your comments and I LOVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!! Comment and vote ulit, if you don't mind. :) Thank you!