Forgotten Christmas

Christmas is a festival of togetherness. It brings big smiles on the faces of each and every individual. Christmas trees, decorated houses, gifts- everything seems so perfect during this time of the year.

Right?

But, what will be your reaction if I say, this is the time of the year, I dread the most?

Yes, you heard that right. Being an American, Christmas is a huge festival for me and I used to enjoy it a LOT but, one incident, two years ago, changed the importance of this day.

After that day, and its aftermath, me and my dad shifted back to his birth place, Delhi, India, where I started my new life at the age of sixteen. Now, I'm eighteen.

"Come downstairs Ryan! Your friends are here already!" I hear my dad yelling from the living room.

"I'm coming Dad!"

I quickly wear my shoes and put on a jacket before heading out of my room.

"Hey Ryan! How's it going? All good?" Asks Nitin, my best friend since the day I started my schooling here, in this new country.

"All good man. Thanks for asking."

"No worries. Come on, lets go! Sneha, Divya and Manav are already outside, in the car, waiting for us. See you later Mr. Saxena."

"Be careful boys. See you later. Bye!"

I'm immediately greeted by my three friends who are waiting for Nitin and me in the car, as soon as I got out of the house.

"What took you so long?" There comes one of the many questions, I've to answer, by Divya.

"I was just getting read-"

"Oh Ryan. What took you this long to get ready? Huh? Tell tell. Someone new you were busy thinking about?" Asks Divya, wiggling her eyebrows.

Oh, lets try to tease her.....ha! Gotcha!

"Oh come on Divu. You know I love my life and don't want to end it via your deadly wrath. Do I?" Everyone start laughing at my comment making Divya blush.

"How mean! I hate you Ryan!"

"I love you too." Another round of laughter make its way around us.

"Okay guys! We don't wanna get late. Lets get going!" Manav says, after controlling his fit of laughter.

We all hopped into the white Honda city, which is owned by non other than Mr. Manav Aggarwal. To say Manav is rich, is an understatement. He is a rich brat who owns a car of his own. But he has never ever tried to show off his richness and is always ready to help his friends. All, in all, he is very down to earth guy and I love this quality of Manav.

Sneha and Divya are literally childhood friends because their moms used to be best friends. Daughters of two best friends, are always best friends. But, they got really different personalities. Sneha is quite, anti-social introvert while Divya is bold, loud extrovert.

Then comes Nitin, who is like other half of me. He was the one who actually initiated a coversation, two years back, on my first day and helped me to adopt the new culture and surroundings. I've no idea what I would have done without him.

Loud music start blasting through the speakers of the car, in a language, I'm still trying to learn, while all four of them were singing along the songs at their loudest voices.

Today is December 24, the Christmas eve and tomorrow- uuhh never mind. Apparently Christmas is just another holiday for my friends and that is the reason, I got surprised when Nitin called me early in the morning, informing me about this immediate, small adventure trip. Its not that I mind but, I would love to spend these two days alone, in my room. But I didn't have the guts to deny their offer when I heard their enthusiastic voices.